Home – New Forums Money matters start up gst

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sam hunt
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi there
    i have started a new pty ltd company, and have accumulated start up costs from november till now but no income.
    I have registered for business portal at ato to do my own tax and gst, but i cant find forms or dates or info to say when i have to pay tax or claim or pay gst?

i have asked numerous other business owners and recieved different answers, i dont really want to bother my accountant, i would prefer to get the forms and do it myself and save the money?
    where do i go?

sam

SewSpunky
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Have you tried the ATO?

Personally I’d go the accountant. Most should be able to assist you in doing it yourself, and you would probably find the $ amount you spend upfront for the professional advice will save you $ in the long-term.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

HI, if you have registered to do the GST online then you should be receiving reminder emails from the ATO. Have you checked all your spam boxes?
    Have you received your ATO digital certificate from the ATO to install yet?
    If you haven’t then you should contact the ATO and ask them to send or resend.

The ATO digital certificate is imperative to be able to login and you need to ask the ATO how to transfer it if you change computers. They have been helpful everytime I’ve contacted them. See this page https://bp.ato.gov.au/ for the business portal and contact phone number (business days only).

Also, you need to nominate how often you are going to do your BAS which is when you declare GST paid and GST owed by the govt back to you. I do mine 3 monthly. You can nominate monthly, 3 monthly or yearly.

By the way, even if you do your own GST you should have an accountant do your yearly tax because they have to check the GST payments, any PAYG and make sure it’s all done for you.

All accountant fees are tax deductible so it’s worth having one you can rely on and to whom you can ask for advice.

Farid Zaki
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

Hi Sam,

Did you register for the ABN & GST in November after you started the company ? If so, did you opt to use ATO Ecommerce or Not ? If not, what postal address did you use ? and did you change that address and did not update it with ATO ?

You have 2 BAS forms to be done, one from start of company to 31/12/09 and the other 1/1/10-31/3/10.

Contact the ATO and find out what is happening.

Also I suggest you contact your Accountant as it is important to have them check you accounts at the least annually and give you advice to grow your business, better to have them involved before end of financial year to see if you need some tax planning implemented.

Your Accountant can provide you with value added advice and service that will out weight their fees.

@HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Hi Heather Smith here, the ATO Business portal will be phased out, with the introduction of ATO AUSKey – which was supposed to be introduced early April, but has been delayed.

If you have an ABN you can check your GST status here :-

http://abn.business.gov.au/(bhefjandtv3l2v2zsannag55)/main.aspx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.