Home – New Forums Face-to-face meetups & events Started with nothing but a dream

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #966377
    Ray53
    Member
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    0
    ::

    I started my business coz I couldn’t live on a government pension , flat motherless broke and homeless … That was ten years ago , all my friends said I couldn’t do it , and they weren’t willing to help … They’re not laughing now … I’m still struggling but no longer broke . There must be others out there learning as we go . Let’s have a yarn about our adventures , our dreams , and our success .

    #1017783
    Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up
    0
    ::

    Good onya Ray I started with nothing but didnt have a dream and 24 years later retired without too many worries.

    Welcome to the forum, why not go into the new members area and tell us more . This sounds interesting and maybe other members would like to swap a few ideas.

    #1017784
    Jocelyn
    Member
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Ray!

    How did you DO IT???
    I would love to know!!!
    What is your business and how did you start without any money?? That’s my dilemma now.

    Regards,
    Jocelyn

    #1017785
    bradzo
    Member
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hey Jocelyn

    Just replied to your other thread.

    What to do without much cash?
    Well, if you have an Internet connection, I really think you’d be best served by heading over to the Thirty Day Challenge. http://www.thirtydaychallenge.com – sign up (its free), review and do all the lessons, and I’m sure you’ll come up with something!

    Again, congratulations.

    Cheers
    Brad

    #1017786
    Ray53
    Member
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    0
    ::
    Jocelyn, post: 24031 wrote:
    Hi Ray!

    How did you DO IT???
    I would love to know!!!
    What is your business and how did you start without any money?? That’s my dilemma now.

    Regards,
    Jocelyn

    Hi Jocelyn,

    I started at the local weekend market , cleaning jewellery for $1 per piece .. set up a little table near the ATM .. and while ladies are waiting to withdraw cash I made my spiel ‘Clean your jewellery while you wait $1 only takes a couple of minutes’.
    After a couple of weeks I was able to buy an ultrasonic jewellery cleanng machine .. you can get them new for under $100 …
    A few weeks later a customer suggested that I sell jewellery as well .. so I did some research to find where I could buy small lots cheap
    some time later someone suggested I should sell second hand jewellery so I applied for a secondhand dealers licence and did that
    another few weeks and a bloke asked me to lend him $30 as he had spent too much and didn’t have petrol to get home, he offered to let me hold his gold ring … more research told me to do this I needed a pawnbrokers license .. so I applied and got that ..
    Had a disagreement with market management , lost my temper and told them to stick it .. but too stubborn to give up .. I found a little shop I could rent cheap .. moved out of Salvation Army Shelter, slept in back of shop .. went to friends place for showers.. ate lots of sandwiches.
    Got lots of encouragement and advice from other Pawnbrokers
    One year later moved to different area to test what I had learned in another environment
    Now I’m about to leave present shop as my business has evolved into different kind of money lending which is not geographicaly limited ..
    It is now a credit line , I even have my own plastic card printing machine and website … http://www.alternativechoice.com.au

    Still learning, still growing, still having fun … thinking back … first month cash flow $28.50 gross profit $3.75 .. this financial year average $208.39 per day .. still working 7 days a week ..

    Good Luck .. What ever happens … Never give up. Never give in ..

    #1017787
    bradzo
    Member
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hey Ray

    Yours would have to be one of the most inspiring stories I have ever read.

    Thank you.

    Congratulations for never giving up.
    If I had 1/99th of what you have inside, I’d be ok.

    Cheers
    Brad

    #1017788
    Jocelyn
    Member
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    0
    ::
    Ray53, post: 24085 wrote:
    Hi Jocelyn,

    I started at the local weekend market , cleaning jewellery for $1 per piece .. set up a little table near the ATM .. and while ladies are waiting to withdraw cash I made my spiel ‘Clean your jewellery while you wait $1 only takes a couple of minutes’.
    After a couple of weeks I was able to buy an ultrasonic jewellery cleanng machine .. you can get them new for under $100 …
    A few weeks later a customer suggested that I sell jewellery as well .. so I did some research to find where I could buy small lots cheap
    some time later someone suggested I should sell second hand jewellery so I applied for a secondhand dealers licence and did that
    another few weeks and a bloke asked me to lend him $30 as he had spent too much and didn’t have petrol to get home, he offered to let me hold his gold ring … more research told me to do this I needed a pawnbrokers license .. so I applied and got that ..
    Had a disagreement with market management , lost my temper and told them to stick it .. but too stubborn to give up .. I found a little shop I could rent cheap .. moved out of Salvation Army Shelter, slept in back of shop .. went to friends place for showers.. ate lots of sandwiches.
    Got lots of encouragement and advice from other Pawnbrokers
    One year later moved to different area to test what I had learned in another environment
    Now I’m about to leave present shop as my business has evolved into different kind of money lending which is not geographicaly limited ..
    It is now a credit line , I even have my own plastic card printing machine and website … http://www.alternativechoice.com.au

    Still learning, still growing, still having fun … thinking back … first month cash flow $28.50 gross profit $3.75 .. this financial year average $208.39 per day .. still working 7 days a week ..

    Good Luck .. What ever happens … Never give up. Never give in ..

    Wow Ray, Thanks Very much for sharing your story. Yours is a very inspirational and amazing journey. Congratulations to you for finding success and making it happen! It made my day hearing your story and I hope I could find the same success as you have.

    Kind Regards.

    Jocelyn.

    #1017789
    mike@engagemarketing
    Member
    • Total posts: 300
    Up
    0
    ::

    Amazing story Ray. You’ve got the true Aussie spirit!

    #1017790
    Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks Ray

    Wouldnt it be fantastic if all those living at the Salvo centres could get inspiration from your story and did what you did.

    I wonder how we as a community could help in some small way ( not financially), any ideas,anyone?

    #1017791
    mike@engagemarketing
    Member
    • Total posts: 300
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Ray,
    i couldn’t wait to speak to you again after our call the other day so here I am haha. Have you thought about using the government’s New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS) on your business?

    Cheers,
    Mike

    #1017792
    Sbezzy
    Member
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    0
    ::

    Ray,

    You story is inspiring, and you are a man with an incredible will ! Thanks for sharing your story, it certainly gave me a lot to think about.

    Have a nice day !

    SB

    #1017793
    Steven Hudson
    Member
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hello Ray

    Your story is simply amazing and an inspiration to us all, there is a saying from someone from somewhere…and it goes is something like this ‘If you don’t have dreams they will never come true’

    How true Ray.

    Cheers

    Steven

    #1017794
    Virtual Call Centre
    Member
    • Total posts: 74
    Up
    0
    ::
    Ray53, post: 24085 wrote:
    Hi Jocelyn,

    I started at the local weekend market , cleaning jewellery for $1 per piece .. set up a little table near the ATM .. and while ladies are waiting to withdraw cash I made my spiel ‘Clean your jewellery while you wait $1 only takes a couple of minutes’.
    After a couple of weeks I was able to buy an ultrasonic jewellery cleanng machine .. you can get them new for under $100 …
    A few weeks later a customer suggested that I sell jewellery as well .. so I did some research to find where I could buy small lots cheap
    some time later someone suggested I should sell second hand jewellery so I applied for a secondhand dealers licence and did that
    another few weeks and a bloke asked me to lend him $30 as he had spent too much and didn’t have petrol to get home, he offered to let me hold his gold ring … more research told me to do this I needed a pawnbrokers license .. so I applied and got that ..
    Had a disagreement with market management , lost my temper and told them to stick it .. but too stubborn to give up .. I found a little shop I could rent cheap .. moved out of Salvation Army Shelter, slept in back of shop .. went to friends place for showers.. ate lots of sandwiches.
    Got lots of encouragement and advice from other Pawnbrokers
    One year later moved to different area to test what I had learned in another environment
    Now I’m about to leave present shop as my business has evolved into different kind of money lending which is not geographicaly limited ..
    It is now a credit line , I even have my own plastic card printing machine and website … http://www.alternativechoice.com.au

    Still learning, still growing, still having fun … thinking back … first month cash flow $28.50 gross profit $3.75 .. this financial year average $208.39 per day .. still working 7 days a week ..

    Good Luck .. What ever happens … Never give up. Never give in ..

    Hi I’m so glad I just read all this..we started a business 2 weeks ago with nothing..and I mean nothing…we’ve begged and borrowed just to get through the week..now after a few days on the internet socializing and door knocking for a week, we have 3 contracts and the phone is running hot..however after a few destructive comments about our website today on here, i hit rock bottom and let it depress me..but after reading this I see that this is MY dream and we are passionate about our work so I am determined we are going to be successful (without the damn website lol)
    I must mention the website was put together by a friend who tried to help us out, but it seems wasn’t such a good idea lol I’m so glad you made it and even more glad you have shared your story with us..so I just wanted to say a big Thank you..

    #1017795
    strategictelemarketer
    Member
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    0
    ::
    Ray53, post: 20570 wrote:
    I started my business coz I couldn’t live on a government pension , flat motherless broke and homeless … That was ten years ago , all my friends said I couldn’t do it , and they weren’t willing to help … They’re not laughing now … I’m still struggling but no longer broke . There must be others out there learning as we go . Let’s have a yarn about our adventures , our dreams , and our success .

    Hi Ray53,

    I love your positive outlook in life, I think with the recession scare, people all around the globe have learned that thru industry and perseverance, we will all overcome poverty. It is just a matter of mindset and working hard! ;)

    #1017796
    Ray53
    Member
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    0
    ::

    Well, It’s been a while, things were going very well, got up to $140000 PA .. Then the authority for Credit Providers was transferred from ‘Victorian Business Licensing Authority’ to ‘Australian Securities & Investment Commission’. They effectively legislated me out of business. Back to nothing.

    I still have my Secondhand Dealers Registration and Pawnbrokers Endorsement, so I will start again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.