Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting a Bootcamp pls help tips needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Fluro Fitness
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and new to the Fitness industry. I am trying to set up a small partnership business. My partner is a qualified PT and i am let’s say not so qualified, but i will be taking care of all the marketing and running of the business. We are trying to get a boot camp of the ground and eventually get some one on ones out of that.
    I have not much knowledge of what is involved legally. i have registered a business name with ASIC so i could commence the marketing such as website, flyers etc., so that bit is done and so far we have 4 interested ppl (not much for a boot camp, but better than nothing)
    . Aside from that i am not sure if there are any other legal obligations, if anyone could help me i would be forever grateful.

I understand that some register with Fitness Australia, but as i dig further i realised that it is not legally compulsory. I also understand there is up to date first aid and then insurance. but we can sort that out later once we actually have some clients to train.

In the mean time any tips of who should i talk to regarding legal stuff other than an expensive lawyer, or if anyone already has this type of business can you recommend what are the most essential things i need to consider before starting on this path?

thank you in advance.

PS: i find some of the tips on this forum are fantastic, a lot of insight and very useful information, sound like people here know what they are talking about this is why i signed up. thanks again.

Fluro

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Fluro,

Welcome to the FS brains trust and congratulations on starting your business.

I don’t believe that you should just be concerned about the “legal” issues, the issues of insurance, OH&S, workcover, public liability are all major factors, and as I have heard from other friends, depending on where you plan on holding these boot camps & 1 on 1 sessions, some councils charge PT’s an ongoing rate to use the Park/Beach/Oval etc. I have heard that the rate can be anything from $200/mth to $1200/mth in the Sydney North Shore, and they do patrol asking for your license.

Good Luck with your Venture.
    Brent

KellyB
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

Hi

Brent has given you some great advice already, just wanted to second that it is really important to get your insurance sorted before you start training anyone. If you are in Melb i know a great broker who can get you sorted with insurance.

I would probably see an accountant rather than a lawyer – I think getting your structures set up right at the start is really important, and a good accountant will be able to assist with business plans, record keeping requirements, etc. Again, i’m happy to recommend my accountant (and there are many great ones on here too!).

You will also need to contact your local council to find out their requirements, restrictions, etc on using their parks, etc. You will possibly find they want to see copies of your public liability insurance as well.

Kelly

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Fluro,

Great to see you are setting up your own bootcamp – they certainly are very popular where I am and a great alternative to the gym (I organise a trainer to come to our soccer training sessions once a month to spice it up)…

I agree with previous statements that you should have your Insurances in place prior to obtaining clients, namely for the following reasons:
    – the business has commenced (even though it is not operational);
    – you will need to show to the Council if you are booking ovals or parks;
    – it shows (to clients) that you are committed and serious about your operation; and
    – it prevents any delays in starting the training sessions (there could be nothing worse than a group coming on board and you telling them that they need to wait until you get your insurance organised).

Insurance for Bootcamps are usually offered by niche underwriters/insurers – there are combined policies available that can give you the following:
    – Public/Products Liability;
    – Professional Indemnity; and
    – Management Liability (this is a new type of policy that covers the liability associated with the Management of you Business ie. certain Fines and Penalties, Employment Practices, cover for Directors and Officers etc – usually only available to Pty Ltds but can be extended to partnerships and sole traders on occasions).

Also, you should look at cover for your Equipment (esp due to theft) and other covers such as Loss of Income and Motor Vehicles.

Let me know if you have any more questions – I am more than happy to help.

Regards,

Mark
    Allied Insurance Brokers

Smythie
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Howdy,

Wow don’t we have some great people on this forum helping out everyone.

I just want to know what area you are from?

Good luck and congratulations on starting your boot camp.

Cheers
    Alison

Trent
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

A question first – where are you?

The best way to get targeted information you can use is to let us know where you are planning to start the Boot Camps :D

For example, Brent gave you some great advice, but are you on the North Shore…?

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

Fluro Fitness, post: 156700 wrote:
    Hi all,
    Im new to the forum and new to the Fitness industry. I am trying to set up a small partnership business. My partner is a qualified PT and i am let’s say not so qualified, but i will be taking care of all the marketing and running of the business. We are trying to get a boot camp of the ground and eventually get some one on ones out of that…..

PS: i find some of the tips on this forum are fantastic, a lot of insight and very useful information, sound like people here know what they are talking about this is why i signed up. thanks again.

Fluro

Sydney Business
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

Such great advice – gosh I love this site

Fluro Fitness
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thank you so much guys for all your very helpful advice.

Great to see this forum is so active and useful. I definitely should be checking this more often.

Is there a fitness section somewhere by any chance? I have looked but couldn’t find anything too specific.

Both my business partner and I are doing our First Aid Course this weekend and as soon as that is done I will organise the insurance with Marsh, as they seem to be the popular choice for personal trainers and group trainers.

I have spoken to the local council so far no regulations placed providing im not preventing other public from using the park facilities as they are intended to be used.

We are in Sydney Inner West. I know probably plenty of competition, but isn’t it with everything?!! I suppose just got to try our best. My goal is to do what i love and what I’m good at for a living and to get out of the office facing 4 walls and no windows. 😮

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

I’m sure i will have plenty more questions in the future so it’s good to know there are helpful people out there.

Cheers Fluro.

Ytelco
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Agree with above… get your insurance sorted out along with permission from council.

You might not need to register with Fitness Australia but as with most peak bodies, they might be a valuable source of information regarding other requirements those of us not in the industry don’t know about.

Something else to consider is a back up location if your chosen site becomes unavailable for some reason (eg local festivals, inclement weather, new construction etc). A PT near me has an arrangement with a local sporting club to use their hall for indoor activities during bad weather.

Good luck

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Fluro Fitness, post: 157727 wrote:
    Thank you so much guys for all your very helpful advice.

Great to see this forum is so active and useful. I definitely should be checking this more often.

Is there a fitness section somewhere by any chance? I have looked but couldn’t find anything too specific.

Hi Fluro,

I’m glad you’re finding the forum helpful :)

We don’t have sections specific to any particular industry – only sections relevant to the many different aspects of running a small business. We do find that we all have a lot in common and that insights from people in completely different fields to you can sometimes be among the most helpful.

All the best,
    Jayne

Live4Fitness
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Fluro.

I’ve run my own personal and group fitness training business since 2008. I also lecture in both Cert III & IV in Fitness. You’ve mentioned that registering with Fitness Australia isn’t legally required and you are correct. But it will eventually become required and when it does, you’ll be much better served having had a long standing registration. You climb in Fitness Aus registration levels with experience and time in the industry which allows you to differentiate yourself from those with little experience.

Other benefits include discounted further education courses and a flow of information that helps you to keep up to date with a very dynamic industry!

Ironically, registration with them will also streamline your legal issues:
    Once registered with Fitness Australia you can apply for insurance through their favoured provider. Currently Guild Insurance. The insurance policy provided is put together by Guild in conjunction with Fitness Australia to specifically suit personal trainers. The benefits are numerous but the two largest are:

1. The insurance policy covers you for all your registered skills. For example, if you register as a standard personal trainer and purchase your insurance policy and then you upgrade your qualifications to include boxing for fitness. As soon as you provide the certificate to Fitness Australia and register that new skill, your policy automatically includes the new activities you will be undertaking with clients.

2. Because you are dealing with a standard policy that is purchased widely, it is CHEAP. Around $200 for 2 years of full insurance. You can’t beat that.

You’re looking at around $400 every two years to purchase Fitness Australia registration and insurance. That’s a very small amount of money for what you and your career gain in return.

Good luck with your new venture!
    Matt.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.