Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting a business in the trade industry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lnsy
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hey guys,

My partner and I are just starting up our business, in the supply of stainless steel linear drains for builders, tilers, plumbers etc. Ideally, it would be great to get a commercial builder as a client, but even residential builders and tilers would be a good start!

We have just set out website up @ http://sasdrains.com.au , so any feedback about our site would be much appreciated.

My real question to you guys would be more about how we could go about marketing ourselves, and getting ourselves out there so that we can actually make some sales. It’s a bit hard to have a USP, considering all of the products in this market are quite similar to some extent, although we can safely pride ourselves on providing a custom, reliable, competitive-priced solution.

Would it be best to go around visiting potential clients, asking to see someone in charge of purchasing? Or would it be better to do a mail-out with an introductory letter about our business, accompanied with a flyer for example, or even to start cold calling businesses?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Lindsay

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Looks like you deliver a very good product and I like the site.

I’m working continually with documentation and specifications for commercial buildings and the suggestion I’d make is, target who ever is specifying the design, usually Architects, they love finding new ways to detail their work, they spend hours on the net and in catalogues looking for stuff like yours.

Most commercial builders and tradesmen are captive to what’s already specified, either by a designer, or an owner with a Vogue magazine.

Given the anti corrosion properties and visual appeal of stainless, I’d have thought pool companies are another good target, they tend to sell a package including surrounds and surface finishes, if the price is right it might offer an edge over competitors using plastic etc.

Good luck with it anyway.

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

U r at the fun stage. Getting this going is easy.
    -Firstly secure product delivery times and consistent Q& A of product. so u deliver what u promise
    -B2B (select your target market) is best way to start. Make sure initially the person who can demonstrate and is most knowledgeable is marketing your product.
    -Have your pricing set out. $/meter (min quantity)
    -Have your order forms printed and on hand ready
    -attend home shows (purchase a stand)
    -Have all your marketing pointing to your website.

Getting big commercial clients can cripple your business before you get started if you don’t have the sufficient funds to carry the sale. Product – delivery -Payment could take up to 120days.

exciting times

Chris Poulios
    http://www.satisfaction-marketing.com.au
    http://www.webthreads.com.au

lnsy
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    estim8, post: 126507 wrote:
    Most commercial builders and tradesmen are captive to what’s already specified, either by a designer, or an owner with a Vogue magazine.

Given the anti corrosion properties and visual appeal of stainless, I’d have thought pool companies are another good target, they tend to sell a package including surrounds and surface finishes, if the price is right it might offer an edge over competitors using plastic etc.

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely look at targetting some architectural companies.

Yeah, that is true. 316 Stainless is a must when in the pool area, especially if it’s salt water. I actually heard about a case recently, which was installed close to 9 years ago, and has started cracking and leaking everywhere because PVC was used. They needed a whole reinstall!

Another good idea!

Chris – Marketing, post: 126513 wrote:
    U r at the fun stage. Getting this going is easy.
    -Firstly secure product delivery times and consistent Q& A of product. so u deliver what u promise
    -B2B (select your target market) is best way to start. Make sure initially the person who can demonstrate and is most knowledgeable is marketing your product.
    -Have your pricing set out. $/meter (min quantity)
    -Have your order forms printed and on hand ready
    -attend home shows (purchase a stand)
    -Have all your marketing pointing to your website.

Getting big commercial clients can cripple your business before you get started if you don’t have the sufficient funds to carry the sale. Product – delivery -Payment could take up to 120days.

Thanks, love your optimism haha!

Definitely some good points. Having prices and forms on hand, as well as possible samples would be much more convenient.

I would hope payment could be arranged in a shorter time than 120 days! We will see what happens.

What are your opinions on cold calling in this industry? And if visiting a business(builders for example), going b2b, who is usually the best person to ask for? The estimator? The purchasing officer?

I think getting past the gatekeeper will be an issue if cold calling!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.