Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Starting a Clothing line – Any advice appreciated!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Licia.mcc
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi, I’m new to this site but have found it chock full of helpful & insightful information!

I am in the process of starting my own clothing line & was hoping anyone who has done the same or who has had any experience dealing with or importing from China could give me some advice.

I can find the exact type of fabrics I need (floral prints on heavy cotton for shirts) on sites like fabrictraders.com & onlinefabricstore.com, but they cost far far too much for me to make the product & it still be sold at a competitive price (around $40). I have therefore been looking into buying the fabric from China. The problem is I can’t seem to find any clear examples of what the manufactures have, or they want me to buy a minimum of 4000meters without even having a sample! Not sure how that could work?

I have been trying to go through chinadirectsourcing.com but haven’t had much luck there either. Is it just a long haul search to find a manufacturer in China or is there an easier way?

ANY advice, feedback, tips or what not to do would be greatly appreciated! I am passionate about my product & not giving up, but there seem to be a lot of brick walls to break down along the way!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Licia.mcc,

Welcome to Flying Solo :)

This post contains links to a few threads that contain helpful info for you: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/14182-starting-business-please-read-before-posting.html

Fingers crossed you get some handy suggestions here too.

All the best for your new venture,
    Jayne

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

I don’t have exact details but there are fabric fairs, that happen each year in Melbourne where you can source supplies.

A while ago I had a client who went and was able to source what she needed.

Hopefully a Google search will give you some results.

Elizabeth-FE
    • Total posts: 127
    Up
    Licia.mcc, post: 192085 wrote:
    Hi, I’m new to this site but have found it chock full of helpful & insightful information!

I am in the process of starting my own clothing line & was hoping anyone who has done the same or who has had any experience dealing with or importing from China could give me some advice.

I can find the exact type of fabrics I need (floral prints on heavy cotton for shirts) on sites like fabrictraders.com & onlinefabricstore.com, but they cost far far too much for me to make the product & it still be sold at a competitive price (around $40). I have therefore been looking into buying the fabric from China. The problem is I can’t seem to find any clear examples of what the manufactures have, or they want me to buy a minimum of 4000meters without even having a sample! Not sure how that could work?

I have been trying to go through chinadirectsourcing.com but haven’t had much luck there either. Is it just a long haul search to find a manufacturer in China or is there an easier way?

ANY advice, feedback, tips or what not to do would be greatly appreciated! I am passionate about my product & not giving up, but there seem to be a lot of brick walls to break down along the way!

Hello!
    Congratulations on your goal to start your new clothing line. Depending on the volume you want to source you have many local and offshore options.
    If you give me a further overview I should be able to assist. Feel free to contact me directly. Warm Regards

AliceBee
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    Licia.mcc, post: 192085 wrote:

Hi Licia,

Are you considering using plain fabric to start out instead of printing fabric? 4000 m per printing is too much for you to start out. They will make the fabric sample for you but they will ask you to commit the bulk order (of 4000 m). Or there is the other way is using similar pattern fabric that your manufacturer might find for you. Hope the a.m is of help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.