Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Starting a coffee van business in Brisbane

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mrcoffee
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi Gang

Hopefully this is the right forum to ask.

Mrs Coffee wants to start a coffee van business. Brisbane has heaps of locations (outside the city bubble) where this could work well and there’s plenty of options for quality beans sourced locally. She’s scouting locations however my only concern is the $40k price tag for a second hand van, and equipment? Is there a better option here? It feels like this could be the biggest expense.

Has anyone started or worked in a coffee van business? Mrs Coffee worked in a coffee shop several years ago so she is confident she can make great coffee and she’s pretty driven (no pun intended) to make this work. She wants to be her own boss and escape the pressures of high stress office work and get flexibility in what she does.

Our understanding is that in Brisbane you don’t need a food licence to sell coffee [1], so that makes things simple.

She’s looking at setting up as a sole trader to keep costs down (I think since she’s got a day job she’ll be able to get a loan for the coffee van no problem).

Aside from insurance, bank fees for eftpos, interest on the van and costs of milk, coffee, xero and some accounting fees etc what other things should Mrs Coffee be thinking about? She’d be advertising her business on facebook/instagram etc.

Any advice would be awesome!

[1] https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/laws-and-permits/laws-and-permits-for-businesses/food-business-licences/starting-a-new-food-business/cafe-restaurant-or-takeaway

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,339
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo Mr Coffee. It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

It is important to have a good Accountant. They will advise you about the entity to use eg, Sole Trader, Partnership, Trust, Company etc. As well, they will help set your accounts up.

You will need an ABN and TFN for the entity you go with, a bank account and possibly a line of credit.

I wish I could help out on your other questions but sorry, I can’t.

Cheers
    Paul

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

I agree Mr. Coffee! There’s so much to do when starting a new business 😅 [Mod Edit To Remove Overly Promotional Content]

Dave Butcher
    Participant
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Yes, You are right starting a new business is difficult.
    A bigger challenge is to make the business profitable, you have to show patience for a longer period.
    You will have everything, fund, zeal, outstanding products, loyal employees but if you do have no patience then all of your efforts get lost.

mrcoffee
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Has anyone started or worked in a coffee van business and understand the challenges?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.