Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting a company on the sideline while on 457 visa

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    DanielMelbourne
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who is able to assist me with the following.
    I am currently being sponsored on a subclass 457 visa and am wanting to start a company on the sideline.
    Initially I heard yesterday that as non-resident I am not allowed to start a company, but that a partnership would be possible, but while doing research on the internet I also seem to get out of all the (confusing) information that I might not be allowed to work a bit on the sideline. Other information states that I can have my own business but that I am not allowed to work. And again other information states I can work in my own little business on the sideline but that I can’t derive an income from it.
    Hopefully someone out there is able to shed some light on this, as I don’t want to risk my PR in about 8 months.

Cheers,

Daniel

Prom N
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    ::
    DanielMelbourne, post: 189111 wrote:
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who is able to assist me with the following.
    I am currently being sponsored on a subclass 457 visa and am wanting to start a company on the sideline.
    Initially I heard yesterday that as non-resident I am not allowed to start a company, but that a partnership would be possible, but while doing research on the internet I also seem to get out of all the (confusing) information that I might not be allowed to work a bit on the sideline. Other information states that I can have my own business but that I am not allowed to work. And again other information states I can work in my own little business on the sideline but that I can’t derive an income from it.
    Hopefully someone out there is able to shed some light on this, as I don’t want to risk my PR in about 8 months.

Cheers,

Daniel

Hi Daniel

I’m in a little similar situation to you as well ..

From what I know, you are not allowed to work for other employers during your 457 and cannot earn an income from other sources. That’s a breach of your visa condition on immigration website.

You might be able to own part of the company but cannot get any dividend or pay from your own company which doesn’t really make sense in the tax office eyes.

It would be safer if you wait for 8 months after you got your PR to start your business as this is a very sensitive issue.

Good luck woth your PR.

Prom.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.