Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting a condiment business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    flyinghalloumi
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I am based in Sydney and am thinking about starting a business that will prepare condiments in jars and wishes to package them and hopefully can get stores to resell them.

I have been reading up on this forum and it seems like a lot of people (understandably) wanted to start from working in the kitchen at home but it’s probably impossible due to regulations. I know I would need to rent a commercial kitchen.

However, do any of you have any ideas what other legal hurdles would I need to go through in order to produce and sell a packaged food? Where else should I begin? I feel very lost at the moment…

Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from all of you. :)

FH

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

You need to check with your local council as to the specific requirements firstly and then just today I noticed a post by http://www.legalvision.com.au about food businesses.

This will be a starting point for you. Legal Vision are members here and very easy to deal with too. Ursula Hogben (Legal Vision) is incredibly helpful for small business and their legal requirements.

guppy1
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I remember watching something on T.V. about a Lady who rented a Commercial Kitchen only for a couple of days and made up quite a few batches of food, and kept them at home and re- sold them online.

You can also sell food at local Farmers Markets
    This link will give you some tips

http://www.yourlocalmarkets.com.au/attachment/page/YLM%20Website%20Gold%20Coast%20Tips%20on%20Selling%20at%20Food%20%20Farmers’%20Markets.pdf

Our family owns a few small Commercial Properties, and sometimes you can buy a small Factory with a Commercial Kitchen already installed. But this would be the final step , assuming you already have strong demand from Supermarkets.

Woolworths supplier Portal https://www.wowlink.com.au/wps/portal/!ut/p/c1/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3izQB8jJydDRwN_SzNjAyMn30BPFxMgy9lMPxykwyzez98o1M3E09DQwszV0MDIzMPEySfM08DdxRgib4ADOBro-3nk56bqF2Rnpzk6KioCABjBZtw!/dl2/d1/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnB3LzZfNlFMMkJCMUEwMDBDMzAyUk9WQVZVUzMwRzA!/

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Flying Halloumi,

Welcome to Flying Solo :)

As others have mentioned, you’ll need to talk to your local council about whether it’s appropriate for you to prepare food for sale from your home.

Another option is to rent a commercial kitchen for just a short period of time when you need it. A member here runs a kitchen like that in Melbourne, and may be able to point you in the direction of Sydney-based options, so I suggest you check out her website.

For other information on preparing and packaging food for sale, the website of Food Standards ANZ is invaluable.

Good luck with it all, and please feel free to start a new thread for any specific topics you need help on.

Jayne

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.