Home Forums New here? Share your story Starting a dropshipping business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Yolls
    • Total posts: 1

Hi I’m Jenny and new to here, I am wanting to start a dropshipping business, I think selling kids trendy clothes, I am finding it so difficult and confusing on where to start.
    I do have a Shopify store but I am doing nothing with it.
    I need all the help I can get and advice I can get, I want so bad to have my own business.
    Thank you Thank you in advance

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,121

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo @Yolis .

It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

Cheers

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712

Starting a new online business will take much longer and be more expensive than you think so don’t be impatient. Dropshipping sounds easy but it is no easier than any other business. They all take a lot of work.

It can take months to get Google to recognise your store, and you still won’t get any customers without a lot of marketing work. You are competing with tens of thousands of stores selling the same types of product so you have to think of a way to stand out – why should a customer buy from you rather than the store they usually buy from? How will you stand out? How will you promote your store so that customers will see it? It isn’t easy but it can be done with persistence.

Watch a heap of Youtube videos on setting up a dropshipping store, but don’t take notice of those that show you how to make a lot of money quickly. These are usually people who are selling courses and use fake stats. It is easy to fake your income on a video.

m.dance
    • Total posts: 17

Hi Jenny,

I tried my hand in 2015 at dropshipping its hard work, I learnt a lot (as I used it only for a learning exercise the only goal was to break even).

My advice

• Get the products you are wanting to sell make sure they are what the supplier is saying they are
    • Invest in a good website copy.
    • Don’t be afraid to be a one-product shop
    • Make it legit – Register business name and show your ABN

Good luck and keep us posted

Michael

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    Yolls, post: 268401, member: 116944 wrote:
    Hi I’m Jenny and new to here, I am wanting to start a dropshipping business, I think selling kids trendy clothes, I am finding it so difficult and confusing on where to start.
    I do have a Shopify store but I am doing nothing with it.
    I need all the help I can get and advice I can get, I want so bad to have my own business.
    Thank you Thank you in advance

Wow, if you want to go about starting the business all wrong, you have certainly succeeded, lets setup a shopify store before we even have product or an idea of how to get product. Personally my advise would be don’t do it, you have started leaking money already. Close you shopify store and go back to step one.

Good luck.

RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186

starting a dropshipping store is not as easy as loading up Shopify subscription.

have products in mind. start finding customers. find your suppliers and sample products. figure out how your “worth it” to your customers. you won’t toss money at the first store you see on facebook ads.

so write and create a product, create sales pitches that you. yourself will buy than set up a site around that. try ordering your designs in bulk for the first few so you can try a little market store advertisement in the real world so actual “parents” can dislike your designs in person (ie read body language. what people look at and what they don’t)

three brains
    • Total posts: 18

Understand the desire to have your own business, sure everyone who reads these forums appreciates that.

Couple of things.

1. At the simplest level, you need to be able to do three things for your online business to work. Have something to sell. Have somewhere to sell it. Have some way of managing payments and deliveries.

When setting up our website, we wrote an article giving some basic pointers on how to start working through setting up your own online store (https://three-brains.com/e-commerce/setting-up-an-online-store/). it has a bunch of links you might find helpful for your research. (Note to forum mods : Not spamming our site, more linking to helpful content without reposting it all here.)

FYI, we haven’t done dropshipping but are currently selling through Print on Demand T-Shirts and have run Shopify and Magento stores within existing businesses in the past.

2. You might want to take a step back and work out if dropshipping is the right place to start. If you have Shopify then you are already paying out $29/$79 a month. Then you will have to find suppliers on somewhere like Oberlo or Alieexpress. Then you need to set your site up to manage payments. And then any orders you do generate with your marketing, you will have to do all the customer service yourself if something goes wrong. Oh, and also thinking if kids clothing, you probably want to be covered with all sorts of product liability insurances too. This is why we are not currently dropshipping (!).

If you start with Print on Demand, you can use a WordPress / WooCommerce type set up (much cheaper) for your front-end website and branding and focus on the designs and marketing first. Then POD suppliers like Redbubble and Spreadshirt do all the payments and deliveries for you. You sacrifice some control over margin, but very low up front cost and much simpler model to start with. Once you develop a successful niche / brand, then you’d look to move to something like dropshipping or setting up your own fulfilment model.

3. There’s a lot of conflicting and usually bad advice on dropshipping. The exception (i.e. good advice), we’ve found so far, that gives savvy and honest advice about this area is Wholesale Ted (https://www.wholesaleted.com). Especially their YouTube videos and what to do and not do when it comes to dropshipping / POD. Worth checking out.

4. Avoid any dropshipping ‘lifestyle’ sites that guarantee success or claim to have ‘proven models’. There’s no such thing as guaranteed success in business. If you’ve been researching it, you’ve probably starting getting spammed on social media with ads from people claiming guaranteed ways to succeed. Avoid them.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,121

Such a good post [USER=116608]@three brains[/USER]!

Thank you for sharing with us.

Cheers

m.dance
    • Total posts: 17

I’m with Paul here outstanding post Three Brains

three brains
    • Total posts: 18

Thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.