Home – New Forums Starting your journey starting a firm run by uni students and grads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    isaac8787
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

i am 20 years old and have dropped out of my business degree and am studying acting but im thinking of starting a company with my mates who are still in the business degree at uni which will be a finance company that is comprised of young and enthusiastic students and recent graduates. im thinking it will provide various jobs such as accounting, stockbroking, and marketing with a focus on BUSINESS INNOVATION. i want it to unique in that it has people with the freshest education possible, youth and all the things that come with youth – vibrancy, enthusiasm, FRESH PERSPECTIVES, and a general positive view of the world. Our main focus will be to develop new small businesses through the company for ourselves while providing services to the public. i think it will attract many students and graduates looking for work who want to work in the most fun and energetic workplace possible.

I have looked into various government grants and funding and it seems very possible. i really want to gauge peoples opinions on having separate branches rather than having a company or firm that focused on one area of finance/business.

will small businesses (especially those being opened by young people) want their marketing done by young fresh people? or would they rather experience than youth?

would individuals rather cheaper younger, or more expensive experienced?

the way i see this in my head is if anyone has seen the movie “boiler room” (i know this sounds stupid) it would be a workplace much like that- keeping up the energy, intensity and hunger for money.

i get the train to and from the city (sydney) everyday to college and all the business people i see are glum and somber, never crack a smile. i studied my cert iv in finance broking because of the movie boiler room and wall st and always treated it like gold. im just thinking why cant i change the game?

please let me know what you think!

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

Good on you…that’s what’s missing in today’s business…Passion, energy, conviction and a future. I had it once at your age and I had no obstacles, I cleared every hurdle and paved the way with innovation in the industries I chose. Don’t let anyone take those dreams away from you because when you execute your dreams you will make mistakes but those mistakes will be your Doctrine of life and Business. Your experience will make you interesting and you will be invited to place you haven’t dreamt of yet. The moment you comply because it will be very easy to do so, will be the exact time you become like those business people on the train. The up side you will make lots of money.
    All the best – love your spirit

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Isaac,

Interesting idea :)

I’ll be interested to hear what responses you receive from the community.

Good on you for giving your dreams serious consideration!

Jayne

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Energy and enthusiasm is great, but experience is also important.

But really, it comes down to results. If I wanted someone shoot my wedding, someone who couldn’t show me that they could handle the job would not be hired, however enthusiastic they are.

I sometimes wish I had started a business when I was at uni, but knowing me back then it would have been a failure!

Good luck with it all :)

Chris – Marketing, post: 158314 wrote:
    Good on you…that’s what’s missing in today’s business…I see that everyday is people of all ages – I don’t think it’s missing from business today.
    James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

One suggestion for you. I would advise against quoting the boiler room movie as your business inspiration. From memory the movie was centered around greed, lies and generally unethical / immoral behavior. Nothing wrong with energy but perhaps there are better examples.

Also my thoughts (coming from working in the finance industry) are that youthful energy is better applied to creative projects and tasks. There is a lot of accumulated knowledge in our industry and its not something you can develop overnight.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    Cjay
    • Total posts: 183
    Up

Devils advocate.

You’ll need a whole bunch of compliance, licences, $$$$. Mortgage broking will cost you near on 20k before you turn over enough to cover business costs. Times that by all the different areas you’re talking about offering. You’ll need AFSL’s, ACL’s, accounting compliance etc.

Then you’ll be combating ingrained social ageism. It happens a LOT, especially in this field. Young = inexperienced in the subconscious. And to be fair, a company full of young people is going to be leaning towards inexperience.

Essentially you will push away the older demographics (read the people with money), whereas younger people will have the least amount of money for you to extract (and they are just as likely to go with any other business, I doubt many young people would want advice from other newbies..)

How are you going to combat these issues?

I think James raises a good point, the finance/business spectrum generally is technical and knowledge based.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.