Home – New Forums Starting your journey starting a graphics design/CG business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    3dgraphicswiz
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Hello
    I have an arts degree [ironic I know] and a Diploma of Graphics Design/Publishing. Since I got the Dip early last year [2013] I have thought about my future. I found out about 3D software and CG [computer graphics] and have been fascinated by it ever since. I have found that I can think in 3D shapes very easily. Sadly my era in the education system ignored 3D shape abilities completely. So only now have I fully realized that I am good at this.

So over the last year I have bought some top drawer 3D software. I also spent every day learning from various excellent 3D education sites such as Lynda.com. I am not sure what sort of business exactly I want to be. I have various possibilities:

– animation
    – architectural 3D
    – 3D modelling, especially for 3D printing
    – advertising effects for TV, cinema, online etc
    – graphics design either online or print

And I am sure that the above brainstorm only scratches the surface. The only real barrier that I can see that could wreck it is internet technology. I am on a Telstra large business plan. So I have no worries with downloads – my quota is so huge that I couldn’t go over if I tried. I have that plan for the next 2 years. But it is upload that worries me. A quick primer on the internet:

download: what people sent to you online.
    upload: what you send to other people online
    latency: delay as in a voice taking seconds to reach you.

Now, my download is good. But my upload isn’t. Sadly. I’ve done speedtests and it’s going to be a problem for uploading 3D files to people. I don’t want to get political. But this is where Labor’s NBN would have been a Godsend. If anyone wants to read more on internet issues I recommend the forum Whirlpool. So I don’t know. That is a problem. It could ruin my business. That’s no exaggeration. And my area is not going to get any fibre internet or proper NBN for 20 million years. I don’t live in a marginal seat. And I don’t have a spare 100 grand to get it connected myself. Just saying.

I have taken out a domain name and am putting a website together. My philosophy is that even though this costs me 100 dollars or so a year I have control over the website. Whereas if I saved money with a youtube or blogger or wordpress etc then I don’t have control; they could pull the plug on me and my content. I am prepared to pay for control.

I want to go solo. I am a strong minded person and I can’t stand fools or office politics. I haven’t got time for that garbage. I also want to do work to the quality that I want. I don’t want a boss saying “right that graphics design has to be submitted now” even though I know that it is not finished. I want to make myself happy and other people happy. If I work 20 hours a day it is not work to me if I am happy doing it. I am also a total cynic towards company job security. I may as well have job security by doing it myself.

I have drawn the line now at software. I am saving up for the remaining business costs such as marketing etc. My goal is to start the business proper in 2015.

This is a bit of an unusual post. Most people want to sell beanies, food etc. I joke that I am a 21st century tradesperson – I sell pixels lol. But if anyone has any thoughts then that is good. I am open to constructive criticism. Better to deal with any pitfalls now rather than this time next year.

Thank you.

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hiya,

Well, it’s great to have a wide skill set, but it also creates problems (yes, voice of experience). My advice would be to pick one – or two, maximum – of the areas you’ve listed and focus on that. Trust me, trying to do that many things will mean that your potential customers aren’t quite sure what you’re ‘really’ good at – and it will actually hurt your business. Or, you will be chopping and changing focus so many times a week that it does your head in!

So please, sit down and think about what you love MOST out of that list – and then design your website and business around that. Later, if you like, you can expand your services (and hire staff to help you with the workload), but start with the best stuff to begin with.

HTH,
    Kathy

3dgraphicswiz
    Up

Kathy, that is a great comment! Yes. I am into a lot of things! Nice point about marketing as well – start off with your market knowing what you do!

I will have to think about that. Because I enjoy/am good at more things than I could do.

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

You’re welcome!

As I said, this is the voice of experience… I also have many more skills than I can focus on, so it’s a constant struggle for me to determine what I SHOULD be doing, as opposed to what I could be doing… So learn from me – don’t repeat my mistakes ;)

Kathy

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

What a great post. Its good that you are full of confidence… this will serve you well. My advice is create a business plan. Start with the end in mind and then work backwards. Brainstorm with as many people as you can as they can see things you can’t. Perhaps it might also help to get a coach. No one person can do it all on their own.

3dgraphicswiz
    Up

It goes without saying that 3D software can cost a lot. I did a great amount of research before choosing what to buy. I found 3D professionals and looked at what they use. I went to 3D forums.

That was a major hurdle. So I have dealt with that.

Then I hunted down any websites that I could find where someone was running as a soloist the kind of business here. That was difficult. But I found some. That helped.

My broad intent is to be heading into an industry that’s increasing in the future. 3D printing gets more popular every year. I think that within 5 years all home printers will be both 2D and 3D; the age of a 2D only printer will be over.

If anyone wants a free 3D tool then Blender is excellent. In fact Blender does some things that 3000 dollar software doesn’t! If you go to Shapeways you get a list of basically all 3D software: http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/supported-applications. Blender supports more Shapeways file formats than a lot of commercial software does! Blender also has some limitations so I can’t do my work with just that, sadly. Nonetheless for a hobbyist Blender alone would be all you need.

Further to a suggestion above I have thought about specializing in a few areas. 3D modelling and rendering would be one way.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.