Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Starting a hosting company can be hard!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    domainregaust
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

Hello to everyone.

I just wanted to share a something about some problem I have found trying to start a new domain name registration and hosting company.

Firstly. Its hard. Real hard. The technical side of things including hosting your own servers ect ect is the easy part for any good engineer.:)

The hard part. Marketing and SEO. It is hugely expensive.
    The Australian competition out there have millions of dollars to spend on marketing budget.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi and welcome to Flying Solo.

Thanks for joining. Thanks for posting.

We have a Welcome thread that will give you a heads up about our standards and the rules we enforce to make the community a helpful and positive experience for all of our members.

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/index.php?threads/tips-for-new-players-to-the-forums.27235/

OUR RULES are in this thread:

https://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/index.php?threads/welcome-to-the-flying-solo-forums-please-play-nicely.589/

We monitor all posts and I have deleted yours because it does not meet our standards.

Cheers

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 215
    Up
    domainregaust, post: 271797, member: 120606 wrote:
    The Australian competition out there have millions of dollars to spend on marketing budget.

How do you intend to get more customers?

businesstrade.com.aubuy or sell a business
    domainregaust
    Up

My site has been pushing up in the SERPS in a dramatic way over the past few weeks few to my SEO efforts. I am now ranking on Page No1 in google.com.au for “cheap domain name name registration australia” so now its time to start working on my other keywords.
    At first new customers were hard to target. But now the business has started to take off and grow. In a few months time I am execting top page results for all of my keywords. Currently my web traffic is about 600 hits per day which was hard to grow. But I am hoping that now with what I have recently put into place the organic traffic should tripple. I don’t beleive in PPC. Its a rip off unless your selling a $1,000 per unit cost product. Then its worth it. But for the general law mowing business it’s a total waste of money. The hardest thing about running a hosting company is the marketing. But I beleive I now have the secrets required. So in the next few months this is expected to grow in a big way. All I am saying is that has not been an easy road with plenty of ups and downs.

domainregaust
    Up

And what a shame this website as the “Nofollow” Tag attached to it. Damn!

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

I like your website design, well done!

You are entering into one of the most fiercely competitive industries. The technical side is almost a commodity.

How have you concluded that “cheap domain name name registration australia” is the best keyword to rank and it will translate to the customers that best meet what you are looking for?

If you are targeting cheap web hosting there’s always going to be a squillion others that will be cheaper than you by a long shot. Therefore you are paddling against the tide big time.

In my opinion you will need to target and market to very specific niche segment within your industry to have any chance of getting traction if you don’t serious marketing dollars to spend.

Keep us updated on how you go!

domainregaust
    Up

Currently. Thee keywords (Cheap Domain Registration Australia) (Cheap Domain Name Registration Australia) & (Cheap domain registration) Are all currently ranking as follows.

Cheap Domain Registration Australia | Page 1 Google.com.au
    Cheap Domain Name Registration Australia | Page 1 Google.com.au
    Cheap Domain Registration | Page 2 Google.com.au

Take a look for yourself. Keep in mind different browsers can give slightly different results. These results come from Microsoft Edge with paid ads turned off.

SEO marketing services are overrated and stupidly expenise.
    This is why I do all my own SEO and link building.
    These keywords are performing great and have gained a lot of traction and attention over the past month.

But you are correct. It’s a tough market. Hence why I chose it. Just to prove it can actually be done by a single person with almost no budget.
    Im pretty happy with some of my keywords being up there with the big boys.
    At the moment I am out ranking au.godaddy for “”Cheap Domain Registration Australia” which I am pretty happy about. When you look at their backlink profile they trump me by a few thousand referring domains. I only have around 500 or so. So it goes to prove that good fresh content and onpage SEO is a bigger ranking factor than backlinks alone.

Total Unique Visitors
    Last week
    Maximum Unique Visitors
    Per day
    Minimum Unique Visitors
    Per day

You can also see file attached :)
    Hope that helps answer your question. Thanks for the interest and feedback

Hey did you see or give my free public DNS resolvers a shot?
    I’t would be if I could get a few people reading this to give them a shot.
    Many others have the opinion that they actually respond faster than Google 8.8.8.8 and cloudflare 1.1.1.1 when inside Australia.

Here they are here if anyone would like to give them a shot!
    I have all three locations load balancing port 53 traffic now however it was a nightmare to get going.

Best DNS Servers Providers | Fast Public DNS Servers (domainregistrationdns.com.au)

PrimarySecondary

Sydney Core

Melbourne Core

Brisbane Core

I suggest that use you the server closest to you for the primary. And then for the secondary the next closest location. Simply for better data centre redundany. I don’t have Anycast running just yet for the public DNS resolvers. But the domains and hosting are all on Anycast.

I will have Perth up and running in the next month or two.

Whats really special about the hosting is my wholesale company operates fully distrubuted, clustered high burst hosting servers. So clients sites are actually spread across several hosting servers which are all load balanced together and super redundant for a really cheap price About $13 bucks a month. (For a distrubuted system) Many other cheap hosting companies with these $3 per month plans give you a single over crowded machine. So you really get what your paying for. So that’s my advertising and marketing angle on that one.

Some feedback on the public DNS servers would be great from anyone else reading this.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Well done on those keyword ranks, so keep us updated if they start translating to sales so quickly.

If you can post some metrics on changing Windows to use your PUBLIC DNS versus automatic this would be interesting to review too.

Who owns / controls these public DNS servers?

domainregaust
    Up

I personally operate and control the DNS servers.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Starting a hosting company can be hard!, yes thats true, but starting any new business can be hard, if it was a piece of cake, everyone would be running their own business

domainregaust
    Up

Running the biz is simple if its something your good at.
    Its just getting the google rankings which is the hard part.

[email protected]
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

My domain name business has started to grow quite fast and I was wondering where I could find an I.T student to help out with a few tasks from home such as answering customer emails and technical support questions.

I feel that advertising on seek would attract to many of the wrong people.

Louis84
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hello to everyone.

I just wanted to share a something about some problem I have found trying to start a new domain name registration and hosting company.

Firstly. Its hard. Real hard. The technical side of things including hosting your own servers ect ect is the easy part for any good engineer.:)

No business is easy to run in todays life. IF running any business was so easy then everyone could be doing that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.