Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Starting a new jerky business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    notscottsmith
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I’m new to all this and am embarking on a passion project; beef jerky. Like a lot of others, I’ve been experimenting for a while and believe that what I’ve got can more than be on par with what’s in the market already. I’m based out of Perth.

I’m currently trying to sort out manufacturing on a higher level, either through contract manufacturing (any contacts in this field would be appreciated) or the hire and use of a commercial kitchen (no high risk food businesses will be allowed in the council I’m in).

The latter part is what I’m expending a lot of energy in at the moment, it’s a struggle. Finding somewhere to hire or use the facilities is difficult, even when you’re paying. If there are any members who might be able to offer some advice on the next move to make in this field, I’d appreciate that too.

I look forward to taking part in this community, even if it’s to constantly ask questions. :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi again notscottsmith,

Apologies that your post got held up for a while before being published.

We do have some very experienced food industry folk around here, so I have my fingers crossed that you’ll receive some handy advice soon.

All the best,
    Jayne

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

This is a very interesting business and I have previously working with someone who had exactly the same business. Many challenges to get the ball rolling and many costs too.

Finding you manufacturer is key, but so too is packaging and selling, happy to be of assistance.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Sorry, I don’t have a lot to offer to your specific questions, but if you ever need a new website I can work for jerky!

I love it, and my 2 year old daughter also has a taste for good jerky.

Love to hear of your progress!

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

One of my sons LOVES his beef jerky, and usually buys it online, a kilo at a time lol.

We’re in Perth too, so let me know when you’re up and running and I’m sure he’ll become a customer !

Wendy :)

notscottsmith
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Thanks for the response guys, I appreciate the community vibe.

I’m currently talking to a couple of contract manufacturers but I need more contacts. It’s relatively limited here in Perth for this kind of business it seems. Or, I just don’t know where to look.

The company is registered, researching packaging and the website is in progress. It’s coming together, even if it slowly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.