Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting a trucking business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am considering starting up a trucking business in the near future. I have my MR license and tipper experience,

I can also operate excavators, dingos, tractors, rollers, wheel steer loaders and vehicle mounted crane with grab bucket.

I currently work full time landscaping and relief truck driver, and I work saturdays driving 2 tonne tippers doing soil and landscape material deliveries.

I was wondering which type of truck (pantech, tipper, tilt tray etc) is likely to be easier to get work/contracts . Will i need to buy a new truck or can I get away with a tidy older truck in good nick?

Also what start up costs I should be aware of.

Thanks Sam

Just Launch
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

Hi Sam,

I can help you with trucks sorry but i can offer advice on other costs involved in setting yourself up in business.

When setting up an entity to conduct business through it depends on what level of asset protection and tax advantages you want, as well as your future plans for the business and if any other parties are to be involved. Business structures generally consist of Companies, Unit Trusts and Discretionary Family Trusts. There is also the option of trading as a sole trader or partnership but these structures do not offer any asset protection from the business.

There are plenty of websites offering you the tools to set up a business structure but it is definitely something you should seek advice with as setting up the wrong entity now to save a few dollars could end up costing you thousands in tax the future. Depending on what structure you end up setting up costs can range from $200 upwards, but it is definitely something you can shop around with. You are more than welcome to check out Just Launch for a competitive quote.

Every new trading entity will need an ABN, TFN and depending on the business registering for GST and PAYG. You also have to consider registering a business name and trademarking that name.

John Whale CA

Earthmover
    • Total posts: 33
    Up

G’day Sam,

I think your idea is a great one. I work in excavations and I occasionally need to hire a tipper and when I started out I found it surprisingly hard to find an operator with a small tipper than I could hire out for a few hours. Plenty of guys with 10m2 tippers but nothing for us smaller guys using smaller sized equipment. 2 or 3m2 would be an ideal size for your start up I would think.

You can earn some good money doing it. A second hand truck is a good option but you will need to make sure its not too old. You need to be able to work with people who cannot afford cancellations, so your equipment needs to be reliable and well maintained. As far as getting contracts easily, i would think a tipper over a tilt tray would be best. Heaps of tilt trays out there, only good for transporting solid materials. A tipper can do this and sand/soil.

What area are you in?

4N_Man
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Hi Sam,

It is good you are looking around for tips and advice now. Given the number of truck firms struggling I think you need to do a lot of homework before investing in some trucks. Make sure you run the numbers with someone who knows what they are doing so you know what your expenses will be and how much work you need to make this work. There will be a lot of things you’re not aware of that others are.

My other advice is to be very rational about your business. I’ve seen people go out and spend way too much on vans, cars, trucks etc because they are indulging their hobby or passion for cars and left no money over for marketing, wages etc – don’t do this – the truck/van etc are simply business tools so set a modest budget to get what you NEED as opposed to what you WANT.

Good luck,

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

I strongly agree with the research. Find out what is required by talking to at least 30 individual firms in your region. This is also foundation for your business marketing as you will exchange information and collect business cards. From these cards a data base can be formed to launch your business. Invite to opening flyers etc…

Strongly agree with don’t over capitalize. Too many business believe that their Vehicles have to look so cool which results in chocking a successful start.
    If you have a guaranteed 5 year contract then look at leasing/buying a new truck.

I believe that those who have not succeeded in your industry have not run their business correctly. They have been too busy operating their machinery and failed to spend the time on the business.

Chris Poulios
    http://www.satisfaction-marketing.com.au
    http://www.webthreads.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.