Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting a Virtual Assistant Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    NazarConsulting
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am new and thought I start a new thread.

I have started a Virtual Assistant Business, which is a business were I provide services to assist other businesses and I special in social media management.
    I was wondering about how would I got about finding my first client?
    I am currently working on my website, I already have a abn set up and a email address. I guess what I am asking is what are some good ways to network besides social media? Any ideas and support would be appreciated.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi NazarConsulting,

We have some very savvy VAs around here, and I’m sure some of them will be happy to share their experience with you.

In the meantime, welcome to Flying Solo, and thank you for joining us.

I hope your new business is a huge success, and that you enjoy every moment of it.

Best wishes,
    Jayne

AGMBris
    • Total posts: 319
    Up

Welcome

Good luck with your venture. It is definitely gathering speed – completing SM posts and comments/uploads for businesses that do not have the time to do so.

You would have alot of discussion in FS I would say.

How to get your first client? Ah great question, it is all about being seen – website, SM, SEO, word of mouth, special offers, track history and do the yourself what you are looking to sell (I would think that is a great selling point for you).

Onwards and good luck!

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    NazarConsulting, post: 127803 wrote:
    Hi,

I am new and thought I start a new thread.

I have started a Virtual Assistant Business, which is a business were I provide services to assist other businesses and I special in social media management.
    I was wondering about how would I got about finding my first client?
    I am currently working on my website, I already have a abn set up and a email address. I guess what I am asking is what are some good ways to network besides social media? Any ideas and support would be appreciated.

I suggest you join virtual job marketplaces like Odesk. Although freelancers from third-world countries make price competition tough , some clients prefer to work with native English speakers.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hello Nazar,

Welcome to the forum.
    Im not sure how many people would go looking for a virtual assistant through SM.
    How about answering some job advertisments that are looking for part time Assistants and sell them on the VA model? Until I came to the forum I had no idea how popular the VA model was.

You could also try old fashioned print medai. Advertise in the local paper, start close then expand.

Steve

NazarConsulting
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thank you for all the great and quick responses :)
    I can’t wait till I get my website finished so I can start advertising.
    At the moment this is a part-time business as I am currently working full-time for a well known University. But I am looking at making my business full-time as I really want to work from home. If any other Virtual Assistants would like to send me a message please feel free to do so. :) Thank you.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Blog regularly. Attend networking events. Invest in SEO.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Hello and welcome! I’m one of those long-term VAs that hang around here.

If you want to provide Social Media support services then you have to walk your talk. You need a presence in each of those places and be active in them. You have to be able to showcase your ability before you secure clients in those areas.

I encourage you to set up your signature here so we can see who you are and what you do, and the same for any other forum you belong to. I also encourage you to join two or three Virtual Assistant forums so you can mix and mingle with those who are doing what you want to do, every day. Also seek out Virtual Assistant Networks, rather than Odesk and some of those other sites. There you will find clients who are looking for your services and who will be seeking someone in their own state or country for the most part.

Further than that, seek out local business networks that meet in your region. There you will find two different types of business people who are potential clients for you – those who know what SM is but don’t have the time to do it for themselves and those who don’t know what it is but recognise their competitors are a step ahead of them and they need to get that presence too.

I’m happy to answer any questions about the VA industry and my link below will lead you to my site.

Cheers!

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

You should see if you can have a look at seek.com.au there are some flexible options in there.

Also try getting profiles on odesk, freelancer, elance etc. as well there are some businesses looking for quality as well on there and if your priced attractive enough for a local, you should be good.

kathiemt
    Up

There are three active Virtual Assistant Networks here in Australia and more overseas. Some have been around a long time, since the mid to late 90s. Registering with these networks will not only give you exposure to clients as they seek work to be done but also will allow you to mix and mingle with your peers and learn more about your chosen vocation.

Five Star PA
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

Hi, Firstly congrats on making the move to become a VA. I started mine about 4 years ago and my first clients came from networking. I definitely had my website up, business cards ready to go and joined in quite a few diff network groups. It takes some time to ‘grow’ anything, however you need to make sure you continually ‘plant’ and by this I mean spreading the word.

Really think about your 30 second intro speech so that people at networking groups want to know more about you. Practice over and over so it comes out confidently. People want to refer or recommend people they feel confident in. It’s hard learning to sell yourself but in this game you need to.

I too agree with Kathy about your signature, it’s important. Also try getting a badge made up with your name on it and business and wear it around lots, it’s a good way to start conversation as people as what it is and if you run into someone you know just say your on you way to a meeting etc.

Good luck and I’ve no doubt you’ll soon be busy!

Meredith Hall
    http://www.fivestarpa.com

RymSop
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hi NazarConsulting,

You can get clients as well through referral. Start it with your friends by telling them about your business.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    RymSop, post: 129133 wrote:
    Hi NazarConsulting,

You can get clients as well through referral. Start it with your friends by telling them about your business.

Word of mouth is the small business owner’s best friend.

kathiemt
    Up
    tonyk, post: 129134 wrote:
    Word of mouth is the small business owner’s best friend.

Absolutely and I can vouch for that. Ivan Misner (founder of BNI) talks about it in his networking books.

But you have to get a client first before they can talk about you to someone else… unless you already have people who are aware of your skills and happy to talk about you. There’s nothing like an advocate for your business.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.