Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting a website. Looking for a partner or contract a developer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    macaway
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hello,

I hope this message finds you in good health. I am enquiring to you about an issue that I have and I sincerely hope you can give me advice on it. At this present stage of my entrepreneurship I have hit a snag before launching a great website that I have been planning for a while.

You see I have contracted out the website development to an external company. As they continue to tweak the website in its final stages I have come to realise how dependant I am on them. Given my very limited website development knowledge I usually depend on them on everything that is website related from banner change to main functionality overhaul. The website has a CMS for the basic changes but sometimes I find myself waiting for them to do the changes that I cannot do.

I later on though about looking for a partner who would web developer that can own a share of the business as well as do the techy bits from the back end. Would you recommend such a thing? My budget is fairly limited at this stage so having to continuously contract out an external web developer to perform basic changes might not be viable in the long run. This is why I thought about partnering up with a web developer to get the best of both worlds. If you think that is a viable option where would you think is a good place to look for partners and what percentage of the business would you believe is sufficient to split with? Your advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Yours truly,
    Mac

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Hi Mac

Congratulations on your business.

You see I have contracted out the website development to an external company. As they continue to tweak the website in its final stages I have come to realise how dependant I am on them

A common problem for many business owners whose strengths lie in other areas and not web development.

If you think that is a viable option where would you think is a good place to look for partners and what percentage of the business would you believe is sufficient to split with?

Right here! I am sure you will get plenty of replies.

Good luck.

Karen (Wardle)
    http://www.you-can-start-business.com

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi Mac,

As Karen said, there are probably a number of people on here who can help you with what you are looking for. The first question I would ask though is where are you based? I know that maintaining a website can be done from anywhere, but I personally have found it easier to be able to actual discuss my requirements with people face to face, to ensure that they understand what my needs are (or that I understand their needs!)

Kathy

mybusinesshelp
    • Total posts: 128
    Up

Hi Mac

Your story is very common. I think partnering with another business is a great idea, I do that with some of my clients.

Before you embark on a partnership, have a read of What Website Companies (Don’t want) to Tell You – and become familiar with some of the lingo and information that should mak this process a little easier for you.

Another option, is to pay someone a monthly fee to update your website, assist with your marketing.

Everyone on this forum will be more than happy to help if you have any more questions.

A

macaway, post: 21142 wrote:
    Hello,

I hope this message finds you in good health. I am enquiring to you about an issue that I have and I sincerely hope you can give me advice on it. At this present stage of my entrepreneurship I have hit a snag before launching a great website that I have been planning for a while.

You see I have contracted out the website development to an external company. As they continue to tweak the website in its final stages I have come to realise how dependant I am on them. Given my very limited website development knowledge I usually depend on them on everything that is website related from banner change to main functionality overhaul. The website has a CMS for the basic changes but sometimes I find myself waiting for them to do the changes that I cannot do.

I later on though about looking for a partner who would web developer that can own a share of the business as well as do the techy bits from the back end. Would you recommend such a thing? My budget is fairly limited at this stage so having to continuously contract out an external web developer to perform basic changes might not be viable in the long run. This is why I thought about partnering up with a web developer to get the best of both worlds. If you think that is a viable option where would you think is a good place to look for partners and what percentage of the business would you believe is sufficient to split with? Your advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Yours truly,
    Mac

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

What’s the difference in price? A partner is still going to want to get paid too. Right? Why would a partner cost you any less than an outsourced web company?

I reckon, if you are looking for capital get it through standard means, its a whole lot less headache than a partner.

If you are looking to save yourself learning all about the web, then THAT’s a good idea lol…

The only differences are;

Pro’s
    a) A partner will be more motivated due to incentive.
    b) You only need to know half of what you used to need to know.

Cons
    a) Good partners are hard to find…(almost impossible lol)
    b) They will take a portion of your profits.
    c) You are just as dependent if not more so than your outsourced web company.

Having said all that, do you have a business plan, and can you give us a synopsis of your idea?

Also the designer would wanna know who wrote your existing website and what CMS it is in, etc….

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I agree with what John sheppard said, either way you are a
    still parting with your money.

Back when I did web design full time, I used to offer my clients a service where I would train them for a few hours to manage their their website and make minor updates independantly.

This was great for people who had a bit of time on their, but when they started to get busy website development was put on the back burner.

In the end most of them decided to spend their time doing what they do best (runing the business, generating income) and leaving the web design to the professionals.

Personally, I’d steer clear of a partner. If things don’t go to well your may b stuck with them for a while. When contracting this work out, you call always drop the company your using and find someone new.

Another option would be to hire a student. They would be much cheaper and simple things like banner rotation don’t take much knowledge. Contact your local TAFE and post a message on their bulletin boards.

rickywebchime
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hello Mac,

How are you ? , hope doing very well .

I’m an Engineer & also have 5-6 years experience in IT field with webdevelopment, designing & internet marketing.

Actually i ‘m also looking to start my own IT agency on international plateform that would be having its unique identity & most reliable agency to clients in whole world ( thats my dream ).

As i have good experience in this field so i have all kind of resources to start i.e an expert team of developers, designers & SEOs ( means every thing that a starter need to start a bussiness ) .

but as i said i want to start this bussiness on large scale i.e on international level thats why i need a partner to work with me beacuse i think i would need a partner to handle things .

My only & only expectation from my partner is hard work, honesty & realiablity .

Or you can say that i’m in search of these three qualities in the form of a business partner.

& i can search these qualities & can wait to start my business through out my whole life but i cant compromise with these three qualities at any cost.

If you think that we should have a healthy discussion over this because ,”we are on the same way with same goal ” .

Then,
    My Skype id : rickywebchime
    My gtalk id : [email protected]

Thankyou & Best Regards

Er. Brijesh ( Ricky)

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

If there is a CMS in place then you should be able to self-manage – once the site is finalised. I guess it is that finalisation that you are needing to reach.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    King, post: 21459 wrote:
    If there is a CMS in place then you should be able to self-manage – once the site is finalised. I guess it is that finalisation that you are needing to reach.

I agree, the people who developed it have should have a CMS so you can update the site yourself. They should teach you to use it as well. Started a business on a limited budget is hard enough without having to worry about paying somebody to update your website.

That should come later, when you are making plenty of money :)

Good luck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.