Home – New Forums Logistics Starting an import business from scratch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Djembemick
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

I have had an exclusive offer to import Italian goods to Australia, where do I find out how set up an Import business and how do I find buyers for these products.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi there and welcome to the forums.

Your question is similar to one in this thread. I suggest you have a read and follow a couple of the links shown.

Robert

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Respectfully, if you are asking these questions then I’d not take up the offer just yet!

There are HEAPS of aspects you need to be aware of, everything from the best volumes to bring in for cost effectiveness – it might be a 20′ shipping container, or if light products then airfreight may not kill you (we just brought in some product by air – $5,000 freight bill!

Djembemick
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

After much research into importing, I have decided to set up a Web site, and list products with photos and detailed descriptions, along with a price in $AU available for ordering, as all the associated cost’s that come with shipping, storage, setting up and running a shop including advertising and Insurance are out of my financial reach at this point in time. I am hopeing to also supply outlets around Australia as well as individual sales.

Are there any links here that I can use to research setting up a Web based business in Australia, and is useing a free Web site the best way to start or should I pay for a Web site builder to set one up for me.

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Hi
    Even if you are operating as an online store you will still need to have a supply of stock – unless you are getting your Italian company to drop ship. You will also still need to advertise and have marine insurance at the very least so I am not sure you will be saving yourself that much. We have a free import pricing template that you can use to work out your RRP – just email me on [email protected] for a copy. We also just launched an online course for people wanting to start a business from scratch – http://www.theideasbook.com.au/shop.php?v=home&s=career
    In terms of a website – free websites tend to look like free websites. Depending on the quality of the product you are selling and the target market you are trying to reach you are better off finding a quality web designer and having a quality website designed. Do you have a plan of how you are going to reach your target market, or who your target market are?

Djembemick, post: 23575 wrote:
    After much research into importing, I have decided to set up a Web site, and list products with photos and detailed descriptions, along with a price in $AU available for ordering, as all the associated cost’s that come with shipping, storage, setting up and running a shop including advertising and Insurance are out of my financial reach at this point in time. I am hopeing to also supply outlets around Australia as well as individual sales.

Are there any links here that I can use to research setting up a Web based business in Australia, and is useing a free Web site the best way to start or should I pay for a Web site builder to set one up for me.

Importing/ Exporting
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi

If you need help with any of the importing sides of things we are a freight forwarding business….. please send me an email [email protected]

hope to hear from you soon :)

Sophie Andrews
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

We still get regular emails asking us for a copy of this import pricing template so just wanted to advise that the ideasbook email and website are about to expire – if you are interested in receiving a copy please email us on [email protected] or visit the renamed website http://www.thesohoagency.com.au

Many thanks

Sophie

Accounts Studio , post: 23578 wrote:
    Hi
    Even if you are operating as an online store you will still need to have a supply of stock – unless you are getting your Italian company to drop ship. You will also still need to advertise and have marine insurance at the very least so I am not sure you will be saving yourself that much. We have a free import pricing template that you can use to work out your RRP – just email me on [email protected] for a copy. We also just launched an online course for people wanting to start a business from scratch – http://www.theideasbook.com.au/shop.php?v=home&s=career
    In terms of a website – free websites tend to look like free websites. Depending on the quality of the product you are selling and the target market you are trying to reach you are better off finding a quality web designer and having a quality website designed. Do you have a plan of how you are going to reach your target market, or who your target market are?
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.