Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting an online bookshop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up
    ::

I just want to say something about paperbooks. Ever since I got an ipad I stoped buying books from bookstores. It costs me less to get an ebook and I can store a huge amount in the cloud instead of trying to find space at home. I’m even contemplating selling my book collection.

The way technology is going books will be something from the past soon. Look what’s happening with all the newspapers.

But that’s only my opinion.

AdvancedPetSitting
    Up

I just want to say something about paperbooks. Ever since I got an ipad I stoped buying books from bookstores. It costs me less to get an ebook and I can store a huge amount in the cloud instead of trying to find space at home. I’m even contemplating selling my book collection.

The way technology is going books will be something from the past soon. Look what’s happening with all the newspapers.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    AdvancedPetSitting, post: 109305 wrote:

Good point but there are still plenty of people out there who prefer to have a book in their hand as they feel more connected to a book than an ebook, myself included.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    AdvancedPetSitting, post: 109305 wrote:

Good point but there are still plenty of people out there who prefer to have a book in their hand as they feel more connected to a book than an ebook, myself included.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    tonyk, post: 109313 wrote:

Agree with this, I love my kindle but have failed to convince any of my family to convert to one.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Agree with this, I love my kindle but have failed to convince any of my family to convert to one.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Yes, print books will become a thing of the past but not for a while yet. I know so many people who have an ereader, they use them to the extreme and still buy books in print. There is the occasional person who only reads them on their ereader and one person who buys the book in print and scans it in before reading it.

I firmly believe the secondhand book market will outlive the new book market and that books will eventually be given as presents as a luxury. eBooks will rule…in due course.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Yes, print books will become a thing of the past but not for a while yet. I know so many people who have an ereader, they use them to the extreme and still buy books in print. There is the occasional person who only reads them on their ereader and one person who buys the book in print and scans it in before reading it.

I firmly believe the secondhand book market will outlive the new book market and that books will eventually be given as presents as a luxury. eBooks will rule…in due course.

AdvancedPetSitting
    Up

Hehe try traveling for a few weeks with a suitcase full of books :). That used to be me. Now I travel a few kilos lighter :)

AdvancedPetSitting
    Up

Hehe try traveling for a few weeks with a suitcase full of books :). That used to be me. Now I travel a few kilos lighter :)

Brooke Clark
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

This is a tricky one. I’m an editor, so I love books of the physical variety, and for a while I was seriously considering starting up an online bookshop. I just got a bit too worried about ebooks. In the UK and the USA, ebook sales are absolutely booming; Australia is behind in take-up but over the past year it has started to pick up pace.

As disappointed as I was not to go ahead with my idea, for me it made the best financial sense. I decided to stick with editing, and added ebook creation to my services instead!

So, I’d reiterate that you should do a whole lot of research before you put too much money into it.

Good luck …

Brooke Clark
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

This is a tricky one. I’m an editor, so I love books of the physical variety, and for a while I was seriously considering starting up an online bookshop. I just got a bit too worried about ebooks. In the UK and the USA, ebook sales are absolutely booming; Australia is behind in take-up but over the past year it has started to pick up pace.

As disappointed as I was not to go ahead with my idea, for me it made the best financial sense. I decided to stick with editing, and added ebook creation to my services instead!

So, I’d reiterate that you should do a whole lot of research before you put too much money into it.

Good luck …

SAmedia
    • Total posts: 191
    Up

Part of me is just wondering what makes you different from the other bookshops out there and what research (if any) you have done in to the changing market of books, as people move from the physical to the electronic?

All the best,
    Sean

SAmedia
    • Total posts: 191
    Up

Part of me is just wondering what makes you different from the other bookshops out there and what research (if any) you have done in to the changing market of books, as people move from the physical to the electronic?

All the best,
    Sean

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.