Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting an online business – questions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,
    I’m hoping this is okay to post here, but I wanted to ask the community for their feedback.

I’m in the process of putting together a short course that is targeted towards people wanting to start an online business. (either small business owners or sole operators)

I have the majority of my content sorted out, but I wanted to ask, what materials you think would be great to include.

As in checklists or worksheets etc?

Would anyone care to share their thoughts?

I don’t mind giving copies away for free to those that provide some useful answers. :)

Blake M
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

If you could throw together some sort of checklist about how to get your web presence up and running, including the importance of choosing a good host, cloud options available such as Google Apps, Office365, Dropbox, and how to buy and get an SSL set up. General things like that, so many times people skimp on the website and set something up for $8 a year and wonder why it’s down every second day.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Agree with Blake.

• An emphasis on the importance of engaging a Accountant to get set up correctly. Too many people don’t do this and then get into strife further down the track when they realise their business isn’t set up properly.
    • Information on bookkeeping systems and services.
    • Information on registering a business name and the fact that they don’t have to operate with one if they’re using their own name.
    • Perhaps a number of web links to useful Govt sites for businesses, bearing in mind you might have to make sure you cover all states and territories.
    John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

Thanks guys.

I’ve given this more thought since posting and I think it would be invaluable to include interviews with experts to better explain specific areas. Especially since I cannot provide legal advice, or advice about book keeping etc)…..

My issue is that I intend on making this a product to suit a global market (and not just within Australia, which I guess would make it somewhat more difficult)

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Yes, it could take quite a bit trying to include all those things. I used to have a site called SOHO-Life (Small Office Home Office) and tried to make that a resource but having to constantly update web links and monitor them took a fair bit of work, for something that wasn’t really generating income.

Going back to your original questions, perhaps a check sheet of things that people need to do when starting out. That way you don’t have to give web links but simply prompts for them to go off and find the source for those things: business name, domain name, web hosting, accountant, solicitor, trademark, etc, etc.

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    • Checklist
    • Workbooks
    • Videos
    • Podcasts
    • Interviews
    • Apps
    • Webinars

The more you can interact with your students on different media platforms the better!

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Given the amount of threads that appear on the subject, it might be worth addressing the “What Shopping Cart is the best?” question that keeps popping up.
    (or “what CMS should I use?”)

Maybe a step by step guide to finding someone to help set-up your web presence and/or e-commerce site; maybe listing the benefits/issues between doing it yourself, outsourcing it overseas and getting a local web designer to do it.

CindyK
    • Total posts: 155
    Up

Hi,

You could also include a little bit on flying solo – as well as other services that they might find useful online. Lots of start ups have spare time on their hands working out what to do – coming here might help them refine their plans.

Encourage them to look for industry bodies, adisory groups etc or networks that they can be part of in their local area.

Oh and please – show people how to google! By that I mean, help them understand how to search more specifically for the answers or professionals that they are looking for online.

Sounds like a great idea!

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up

+ EMAIL ETIQUETTE
    OH AND TURNING CAPSLOCK OFF as it’s considered shouting :)

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

I could never understand why people type in caps…

^ I actually wrote that in caps believe it or not?

…..weird

Jervis
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Hi John, I’ve always enjoyed Steve Blank’s advice on becoming an entrepreneur.
    He’s got a huge .. really huge. List of tools that a new company could add to their toolbox http://steveblank.com/tools-and-blogs-for-entrepreneurs/

All the best for your course. Its a worthwhile cause.

Allied
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Hi

Research is really important when starting any new business so…

Why not start with a check list that takes them through the steps to investigate and list their opposition and keywords to use for the best web presence.

(This will assist them with selecting a new business name and domain name.)

Then may be list 3 options for their choice of business name, domain etc.based on their research.

Follow that up by a business name check and availability, domain name check and availability and trademark check.

It would be a good exercise to do between lessons if your course takes place on more than one day.

Solly
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Try outsourcing.. Theirs a book called outsource smart by daven michaels.. New book.. Very good..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.