Home – New Forums Selling online Starting an online store.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    pocupine
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,

I had an ebay store for a while and everything goes not too bad.
    But since ebay charges high commission I plan to build my own
    online store.
    I am a sole trader with an ABN but not registered for GST because
    of low turnover.
    Just wondering
    1: Can I sell items on online store without formal invoice and not charging
    GST?
    2: Do I need to get permission from Paypal to get payments going into
    my paypal account?
    3: If my customers want to pay by credit card, Do I need to apply from
    somewhere?
    4: If my website has no SSL, Is it possible my customers’ financial information
    gets stolen?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Clement

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Hello Clement,

With respect to your point numbers:

1) Depends, an accountant is your best source for this answer.

2) I believe you need a paypal business account.

3) You will need a payment gateway. Talk to the people making your website for you.

4) You should always use SSL when collecting any personal and private information from customers, especially payment details.

QuikShoppa
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi Clement,

A. I imagine if you are not registered for GST, you cannot collect it, but as Gizmo says, check with an accountant. Registering for GST is free, and given that you’ll be using services (postage etc) that you’ll be able to claim the GST back on, it may be worth you registering even if your turnover is low.

B. Already answered by Gizmo

C. Customer can pay by credit card using PayPal

D. Best to have an SSL certificate when you’re taking personal details (names, email addresses etc). They don’t cost that much. If you use PayPal or a web gateway from your bank, your customers will be redirected to an encrypted page, so won’t be using your SSL certificate then, and no CC details will be stored on your server, however people generally don’t like giving details on an unencrypted page these days.

Good luck with things!

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Consider how much money you’ll need to spend in SEO and advertising – then weigh that up against ebay’s fees that pretty much handle all of that for you.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Clement,

Great to see you’re getting some advice already – I just wanted to say thanks for joining us on the forums and welcome. :)

Dave

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up
    pocupine, post: 198999 wrote:
    2: Do I need to get permission from Paypal to get payments going into
    my paypal account?

Absolutely not! Woocommerce or any of the major ecommerce software will connect directly with Paypal for payments by default just as it does with eBay.

3: If my customers want to pay by credit card, Do I need to apply from
    somewhere?

By default customers can by credit card, using paypal, but with out the requirement for a paypal account. You might need to spell this out for your visitors to ensure they understand the option is available

If you want an actual payment gateway, to keep visitors on your website, then typically there is a charge associated with the transaction. Google “eWay” or payment gateways to get a better idea for your costs.

4: If my website has no SSL, Is it possible my customers’ financial information
    gets stolen?

If you’re using PayPal or “some” payment gateways then you do not need an SSL certificate. Certain payment gateways do require an SSL certificate however so make sure you check. Some customer details, not credit cards, can be stored in your system and it’s possible this could be stolen, nothing is 100% secure.

SSL can be an assurance factor for your visitors that your site is “safe and secure” and they can make secure transactions on your site.

My advice:
    – Online stores need significant planning in order to gain traffic and sales where as eBay already has millions of visitors. How are you going to get customers to your site?
    – Based on the above, will you choose organic traffic (search engines) or paid traffic such as adwords and social media. Both will come with a price.
    – Online stores have one of the biggest failure rates because they are typically poorly designed for search engines and have minimal content to attract traffic and visitors. You need to be commited to creating significant content for your website, not just products, in order for it to be successful.

As IncredibleCo said below, you need to consider how much you’re going to spend on SEO and your own time in order to make this project successful. While ebay fees might seem expensive now an ecommerce system will be a significant cost and on-going SEO costs if you choose to do so.

pocupine
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Wow, got replied so quickly.
    Thanks guys for the kind help.
    I will build up the website slowly all by my self.
    At this stage, The business is not really that profitable.
    Though I will keep building the site when I have time.
    Hopefully in the future it can be helpful.

Regards
    Clement

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 199014 wrote:
    Consider how much money you’ll need to spend in SEO and advertising – then weigh that up against ebay’s fees that pretty much handle all of that for you.

You’d be surprised how much more money you make by moving away from eBay.

If you have the basic eBay store (so you can sell items good til cancelled etc) it costs $20/month, then you pay 9% of the total sale price (including postage) as well as an additional 2.4% for the PayPal transaction. You also need to sell at dirt cheap prices to compete.

I’m about to email all of my previous eBay customers to let them know about my online store and will offer a 5% discount card for their first purchase. Considering I won’t pay eBay 9% and I’ll only pay around 1.5% for a card transaction vs 2.4% for eBay, the 5% discount still has me way ahead. You can charge more on a website as well as you’re not competing as much with listings above and below yours direct from china etc.

Yes eBay is amazing for getting access to something like 10 million people straight away, but for profit etc it doesn’t cut it, you need to eventually move to a dedicated website.

FYI pocupine, I started on eBay almost a year ago and I’m now turning over about $6000-$8000 a month on there and really looking forward to moving that to an online store.

I did a 2 week campaign on Adwords with 50 clicks but no purchases. Analytics shows my customers look at my contact us page and then leave so I’m working on that before I do the email blast and hit up Adwords again.

Good luck!

EcommerceTools
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

I wouldn’t look at going with PayPal as your payment provider, we switched from them to Braintree, actually owned by PayPal, but they integrate with Shopify’s API really well and offer no setup fee and very low transaction fees.

Their application process is relatively simple if youre business banking with NAB at least.

Your site will probably have a shared SSL at least, unless you get your own dedicated IP address. With Shopify though they have a pretty solid fraud protection system going, one of their advantages!

Nick
    http://www.memorymen.com.au

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.