Home – New Forums Selling online Starting an online store? Here’s my advice

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Queenofgreen
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Thank you. So appreciated.

karensaid
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 254081, member: 39536 wrote:
    I see a lot of people on this forum asking about setting up an online store, and selling physical products on the internet.

I also see a lot of members here really struggling trying to make sales, as well as those asking a million questions in order to minimise risk and avoid costly mistakes.

I thought I’d share some thoughts here in an effort to give you all something to think about.

This is going to be quick, dirty and straight to the point – I don’t have much time.

1. Stop trying to be clever.

I see people trying to sell toasters that glow in the dark and shoes that receive FM radio. Forget about all that nonsense. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just give people what they want. This applies to your online store too with all that fancy crap that does nothing more than annoy people when they’re trying to buy. Sure, be different but dont try to be clever. Just sell whats already selling. which brings me to my next point.

2. Sell whats already selling.

Every now and then I see people trying to sell sh*t nobody wants. Horrible. If you want to minimise risk and make money, just sell what is already selling. HINT – Go into a marketplace that is so massive its almost impossible to screw it up.

3. Focus on making money.

I see people wasting days, weeks, months on trivial bulls*t such as the background colour on their website, or whether or not they should include the dancing chicken on the homepage. F all of that. Focus on making sales.

4. Avoid vanity metrics and the emotional BS

I also see people falling in love with their own ideas before they’ve even proved its financially viable. No one cares. Again, just focus on making money. Likes and followers dont pay bills. Nor does getting emotionally involved. One of the best lessons I ever learnt was this – whatever you do, succeed or fail – do it quickly.

5. Be prepared to work your face off

For some reason people think making money online is easy. Its just a matter of slapping up a website and waiting for sales to roll in. I often think it might be easier for some people to open a traditional bricks and mortar store rather than trying to make money online. Selling on the internet can be a tough gig. Its cold and lonely and youll often find yourself struggling, which brings me to my next point.

6. It takes years

Unless you’re willing to be in this for the long haul – dont even start. I see so many posts here from members saying “About to launch”, “starting a new”, “Just finished our website”. I often make a point of going back months later and almost every time the sites are gone. Why? Because people give up too early. If you’re not in this for at least 7 years then forget it.

7. If sh*ts not working, then DITCH IT.

I’ve made this mistake myself plenty of times. Hanging on to something that’s not working. You should be very confident that whatever you’re about to do has potential and will start making money FAST. If you’ve been banging away on this for 3 years or so and you’re struggling then KILL IT. Anything that has potential should start bringing a return relatively quickly.

8 Keep your mouth shut and work

Ive lost count of how many times Ive been to parties and weekend BBQ’s only to have someone in my face telling me how theyve just setup a website and its wonderful and they’re going to make a million dollars by next Wednesday. Guess what? That rarely happens and in the end they end up looking like fools. Sure, be ambitious, but keep your mouth shut and brag when you buy that new Lexus.

9. Get paid first.

This is without a doubt one of the biggest mistakes I see people making here especially, and in general when it comes to selling online. People will either spend a fortune having a product developed or filling their back bedroom full of $50,000 worth of stock that they cant sell. Dont do that. Test the market first. Go to a FB group with 10,000 members who love gold fish and say “Hey Im selling goldfish shaped sunglasses, who wants a pair?” This should be highly targeted and you SHOULD make sales. If you dont then somethings wrong. Also, dont spend $20,000 on a swanky website. Setup your goods on ebay or something where theres NO investment or outlay on your behalf. If you start making a lot of sales then great – THEN setup your own store.

And lastly, GET PAID FIRST. Dont spend $100,000 having those fancy widgets made then panic when you cant sell them. Instead, have people pay for them FIRST, then sort out the order AFTER you’ve been paid. In other words, work with other peoples money. I have done this successfully time and time again, and it reduces your risk to almost zero. Most people dont care if your website reads “made to order, please allow x weeks”. Always be honest when doing this.

10. Sell what you love, or you have an interest in

Unless you’re passionate about the subject matter – forget it. I see people all the time here saying “Im going to sell coffee cups” and i think “Wow this person must really love coffee cups?” and then in 3 months time the site is gone and they’re sitting at the end of a bar in some rundown part of town crying in their beer saying “I dont know why I bothered, I dont even like coffee cups, I was just in it for the money”. Remember, whatever you do, you’ve got to do it for YEARS. Its like a relationship. If you cant roll over every morning and be excited about it, then dont even start. Sell something you’re passionate about.

What a great post.

I had to giggle at the sub titles like “work your face off” and “keep your mouth shut and work”

I one hundred percent agree.

I would add “Sell what you love, or you have interest in.”

Whatever this maybe, in one form or another, this, your favored niche WILL link back to a primary category that sells well. That is assuming you have drilled down and researched well, to ensure worthiness of effort, time and money to market.

As it’s already been mentioned above, sell what is already selling. YES.

I agree also, content marketing is coming into play MORE within the ecommerce space.

All drives traffic, qualified curious and/or ready to buy, traffic!

Generating content on something you already resonate with and enjoy, will only produce and more easily at that, outstanding content!

Valuable content with the end user in mind, linking back to the product or products, well, say no more. Increased sales.

Excellent post. :)

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

What Karensaid ;)

angelarichardson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

You have an interesting position about creating your own online store. And yet it looks more like life advice than instructions for action. I would recommend this article to you as a step-by-step guide. https://paspartoo.com/blog/how-to-start-an-online-clothing-store/

kelrus89
    Participant
    Up

Thank you so much !!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

In my opinion, it is good to have a CRM system in your company. It is a really good tool that improves not only customer relationship management but also business management. In my company I use a system from a Polish company FIRMAO. In my opinion it is one of the most underestimated software of this type, which is a pity because it is really very good!

John
    Participant
    Up

Totally agree just because you love something doesn’t mean there is money to be made.

Many people think that having a website is enough. In reality, the website is just a small part of the business.

murphy62
    Participant
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

I manage many eCommerce clients and the most important thing is before you start to build your website/online business is to first make a plan on how you are going to sell online and how are you going to measure your profitability.

The eCommerce website will be much easier to plan and build if you consider all the aspects of selling online and will save you a lot of money in the long run. If you don’t plan properly you can waste a lot of money in going back to the drawing board to fix the things you hadn’t planned for.

-What are the best digital channels to start with (SEO takes a long time so what other forms of paid channels are you going to use.
    -Have you mapped out your customer journey? Who is your target audience and how are you going to reach them?
    -How much traffic and conversions do you need to make sure your online business is going to be viable?
    -What do you need in revenue each month to make sure you are profitable.
    -What is your annual revenue target and what are your outgoing expenses?
    -How are you going to re-engage with your customers (it’s not a good idea to let them forget about you)
    -Are your supply chains secure and reliable. (If you run out of products to sell you are in trouble)
    -Is your advertising costs going to getting the right cost per conversion so you are selling profitably?
    -How are you going to increase your average product value? (this is required to reduce your advertising costs as much as possible).
    -Who is going to be responsible for different tasks? Are you going to do your own digital marketing, outsource some or outsource all?

When you create a plan and document all your business strategies/goals it makes it easier to visualise the road ahead.

Emywilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

These tips are really very good and practical to use! Thank you very much

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Here i will say just that you must have experience in related selling item category.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Up

1. Understand why you’re starting an online store. 2. The quality of your online storefront is only as good as the quality of your products. 3. Branding: The appearance of your storefront will speak volumes about your products. 4. Be familiar with customer relationship management software. Choose a hosting service that supports non-scripted domains. 6. Think about a reseller hosting plan.

Scarlett74
    Participant
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

In starting I created a website to sell my products online but due to low budget for SEO/Internet Marketing I failed. Then I joined eBay and now I am earning nice amount monthly.

hibenjaminsmith
    Participant
    Up

Thanks for advising about Starting An Online Store. I really appreciate the advice and will be sure to follow your tips to get started.
    [Mod Edit To Remove Promotional Content]

Scarlett74
    Participant
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

As a eBay professional seller your advice are really helpful for me. Thanks for this thread.
    Try to keep more stuff for online sellers.

OliviaMiller
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Starting an online store can be a challenging yet rewarding endeavor. One of the most critical decisions you’ll have to make is where to source your products. While there are many options available, I believe that working directly with manufacturers is the best choice for any clothing store.

Partnering with manufacturers allows you to have more control over the quality of your products and ensure consistency across your inventory. By eliminating intermediaries, you can also enjoy lower costs and better profit margins.

When it comes to manufacturers, I know one company that stands out because of their positive reviews and excellent service made me believe that Alanic Clothing is one of the best options. They have been in the industry for years, providing high-quality clothing to retailers worldwide. Their expertise in garment manufacturing and design can be a valuable asset to any clothing store.

I had also worked with this manufacturer and Working with Alanic Clothing means that you can take advantage of their services, such as private labeling and custom design, to create a unique brand for your store. Additionally, their wide range of products and styles can cater to different audiences and help you stand out in a crowded market.

And Yes, please do proper research from your end because it is very important for any online store that Products should be more fashionable, comfortable, and affordable.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.