Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting cosmetic line. HEALTH + LEGAL help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Cosmetica
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Looking into starting a small cosmetics line and was curious about the legal side of things. The ingredients will be similar to this format:
    Coffee Body Scrub
    ingredients:
    Coffea Robusta Seed Powder (Coffee), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Water (Aqua), Sodium Chloride (Salt), Sucrose (Brown Sugar), Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Fragrance (Parfum)*
    * = natural

I was just wondering do I need to contact places such as NICNAS? Do I need insurance? I’ve seen other people selling similar products and they have no information on their sites regarding health & safety regulations. I’m curious if they even bothered with this whole process as it all seems a little homemade. I want to keep the cost down for starting it up in case it flops – always happy to spend more if need be (and the business is working) It’s a bit unrealistic for me to spend over $5,000 to on registration costs/legal costs ALONE. This is more of a hopeful experiment for me.
    If it works out then obviously I’d spend as much as the business needs.

Just looking at start up costs for legal reasons/health & safety etc.
    I’m also looking into repackaging tea products as a dietary aid (to help with the process). I’ve also seen others do this, again with home done sites. Please don’t give me rude answers, I am genuinely curious and perhaps a little naive. Sorry if this question is derivative of others, had a look around but couldn’t find any similar.

EDIT: Also if anyone is curious as to why I’m trying to create a business done to death, it’s because I have an innovative twist added to my business concept. My prices would be more competitive than the others. I believe it would do just as well as its competition if not better. Only saying this because you may be thinking, “why is she trying to create a business that already exists?” etc.

Thank you very much for any help :)

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Cosmetica, you post a interesting question.

I understand you have to start somewhere and getting NICNAS approval is expensive.

I guess if there are other companies doing this with out it, its possible.

However without insurance you take the risk if someone has a reaction and could loose everything…

I know there might be people out there that don’t spend money on insurance and approvals, but is it worth it?

Do you want to build a business on an unrealistic foundation.

Perhaps you could keep it small to start with by holding parties plan type shows and build up your reputation and funds this way before going big.

The bottom line is, if you believe you have a unique product that people will buy, you should create a business model that is serious.

Cosmetica
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    Tony Manto, post: 188913 wrote:
    Do you want to build a business on an unrealistic foundation.

Perhaps you could keep it small to start with by holding parties plan type shows and build up your reputation and funds this way before going big.

The bottom line is, if you believe you have a unique product that people will buy, you should create a business model that is serious.

What part about my question indicated I wasn’t being serious? If anything I thought coming to this forum represented that I want to look into developing my business to the best of my abilities.
    I do want to build it on a realistic foundation. Hence why I came here for help.
    I’m not trying to “go big”, however if it happens that would be great. I’m just asking about how I legally sell my products due to health & regulation laws.

My question was: How do other small time cosmetic companies/tea companies legally sell their products? In terms of health & safety regulations. I’m talking about companies such as “BodyTea” and “Bare Coffee Scrubs”. These places started as home-made businesses. They didn’t spend much to start up their businesses.

The other businesses I’m looking at as inspiration earn quite a lot but I can’t imagine them investing HUGE sums of money into their companies. It doesn’t mean I’m building it on an unrealistic foundation, if anything I’m just trying to start a business on a safe and manageable level in case it doesn’t work. Nothing wrong with that.

Surely there are ways small time cosmetics companies find a way – which is what I was asking for help with. I’m not looking to find people to invest large sums of money into it. That doesn’t mean I’m not being unrealistic or any less serious about this.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

I wasn’t trying to be disrespectful, I was just pointing out that it would be better to have the accreditation.

I see many business owners and there are a lot that are not willing to do what it takes.

I don’t really have an answer to your question other than if other companies don’t have accreditation, then its must be possible. I would personally get insurance.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Cosmetica

The tricky thing with your line of product often comes down to the claims that you make about the product.

Insurance is a must and speaking to a broker about what you are doing is the best way to gain a quote.

Certification of your product/s can come latter when you have more money and knowledge.

I would recommend speaking to a legal representative to gain advice and ensure you are not breaking any standards. http://www.legalvision.com (FS member) will be able to advise you.

It also seems that from all your questions, that you need a little clarity for the long term. This can be in the form of writing a business plan by yourself or working with a business adviser to come up with both a short term and long term plan for your business and products.

Hope that helps

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Cosmetica,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and congratulations on your progress with your new venture so far.

I’m not familiar with NICNAS registration requirements or costs, or the penalty for not complying, but recommend that you phone them to determine what’s what with regards to the topically applied products that you’re planning to launch.

With regards to the teas, you will first need to determine whether your products are considered therapeutic goods or foods from a regulatory perspective. For these types of products you’ll either need to comply with regulations from the TGA or Food Standards ANZ. Rather than go into lots of detail on this, here are two recent threads where these and other issues pertaining to herbal teas were discussed – they should provide handy background reading for you:
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/28752-anyone-experienced-teas-herbs-product-label-laws-etc.html
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/need-resource-got-good-referral/28288-health-legal-requirements-importing-herbal-tea.html

While regulatory costs can seem daunting (especially at first), they are an ongoing part of doing business in the industry that you’re considering entering so personally, I’m in favour of factoring them into your business model from the outset – I think that’s what Tony was referring to when he suggested that not doing so gets you started on an ‘unrealistic foundation’.

In addition, I think you’ll find that you’re not able to get insurance if your product doesn’t comply with the relevant regulations and/or registration requirements, and as you’re considering making products that are applied to the skin and/or consumed, the chance of someone having some kind of reaction to your products is something that you’d probably want to be covered against.

I hope that helps, but please feel free to ask more questions here, and I’ll help if I can, but please bear in mind that I’m not a regulatory expert.

Good luck with it all,
    Jayne

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.