Home – New Forums Starting your journey starting new business questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ken Adams
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I posted a thread yesterday and the few replies I got made things clearer and easier to me.

now I have few more questions and I would like to get advises or answers

1- I will use a service from other companies (Clear Docs, or eCompanies) is there any other suggestions or anyone can recommend one.

2- Can I use my home address as the office location and change it later on once business start running and making money?

3- After Registering the company with one of these services, is there anything for me to do?

4- How to register with GST

5- Is it necessary to get ABN from Australian Business Register, what is the benefit of getting it, and what could happen if not?

6- What is the corporate key? and what is it for?

7- How can I register a domain name .com.au ? what and where i should go?

Thanks in advanced

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Ken,

I only know a few answers so will only touch on those.

2. yes, just fill in a form + small fee.

4. Ring your accountant, they will do it in about 5 min.

5. you need an ABN

7. There is a list of accredited domain registrars here, they will also do web hosting. Depending on how reliant your business is on its internet presence will determine your hosting needs.

Good luck,

Steve

Shelcom
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

Hi Ken,

I also only know the answers to a few of your questions

1) Be careful with who you choose for your on-line provider and research what you get for your money. Some of them outsource the filing of your application to other countries. Also think about how you want your documents drafted and presented. I’m guessing if you are starting your own company you want everything done correctly and legally. I’m not saying that the providers you named are bad, but I do recommend you do some research. Also, the price you see at first is not always the price you get in the end (with many). I don’t want to toot our own horn, but when it comes to incorporations we (Shelcom) are pretty good. We are a family run Australian company in business for 26 years. You can complete your application on line and always call us if you need help. We go over the application with a fine tooth comb and make sure there are no mistakes before we lodge the paperwork. We also print everything, we neatly bind and affix sign here stickers so you know exactly what needs to be signed. The documents are delivered to your door, free of charge the next day. The after care is also important. Make sure that whoever you choose, that you can call them up with questions or future queries.

2) Yes. You can always make updates and changes to the company details in future without a problem.

3) After you register your company you must sign all the required documents and keep them handy. Remember that you will have to pay annual review fees to ASIC each year on the anniversary of your company registration. You can do this yourself, or alternatively you can appoint your accountant to do this for you. Ask about prices for this service. I know some accountants don’t charge anything and others charge a fair bit. If you go with an incorporation company they may offer this service. I know we do.

4) Your accountant can do this.

5) If your company will be trading you will need to get an ABN. This can be easily done on the abr.gov.au website once you receive your A.C.N (Australian Company Number). It may take the ATO up to 28 days to allocate the A.B.N. If you do not receive it instantly on your screen after completing the on-line application it will be posted to the address you provided within 28 days.

6) A corporate key a unique 8 digit number ASIC allocates to the Director of the company. Once corporate key is assigned per company. In many respects a corporate key is similar to the PIN for a bank account and is used to keep your company information secure. When any changes need to be made to the Company register the corporate key will need to be supplied to verify the authority to make the changes.

Best of luck!

al.giffard
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Hi Ken,

Steve and Shelcom have already done a great job answering the questions, so I’ll just expand on #4 (and touch on #1).

You can register your company for GST at the same time you register for your ABN, which can both be done online at http://www.abr.gov.au.

Re choice of provider, I’ve used ClearDocs before and they’re pretty good value.

Best of luck,

Al.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Ken,

Only a couple of little things for me to add…

1. I can recommend Shelcom for the company registration; I’ve referred a number of clients to Shelcom and have no hesitation endorsing their service.

2. With the .com.au domain you wish to register, certain eligibility criteria will need to be met – such as the name will need to match or be derived from your company name, or be closely connected to your products/services. You’ll likely be asked for the ABN when registering your .com.au so you may need to do company registration first, then ABN registration, then domain registration.

3. Regarding GST, you can get your accountant to do it – or, can also do this via abr.gov.au. You only need to do this though when turnover is $75,000. If you are less than this then registration for GST is voluntary.

Ken Adams
    Up

Guys i cant thank you enough for the answers
    that is really very helpful.
    you saved me lots of time and effort,

flyingsolo.com.au you are awesome

i will start registration soon.

Thanks

daleclifford
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    Ken Adams, post: 152925 wrote:
    7- How can I register a domain name .com.au ? what and where i should go?

Thanks in advanced

You can search and register a domain name here http://www.internetstack.com.au. But you’ll probably also need to register web and email hosting too.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Dear daleclifford,

In keeping with the forum guidelines, could you please confirm for us whether you have any affiliation with the business you’ve recommended in your post?

As a first time poster, it would be great if you could also please help us give you a more personal welcome by posting in the introductions section of the forum and also let us know a little about yourself by filling in your profile in ‘Control panel’, including details of which state or suburb of Australia you’re based in. Having a completed forum profile is very important to other community members and enhances your credibility. (You can access the Control panel from the grey bar above the forum).

Thanks very much, and welcome aboard.

Jayne

furry
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

This maybe late and you have great answers here but one more thought for you.

When establishing a web-domain you may want to think about how you’ll do you site. I set up my business (in consulting) a while ago and built my own using a web-builder. Some are pretty basic but I found the one at godaddy.com not bad. If you go this route get the domain where you can build/host the site (I didn’t and regret it). I also found a site called bizzosphere.com that is basically a directory with links to many sites you might need – I used eCompanies and a few other links there.

Ken Adams
    Up

Guys you are all amazing with great help.

Saved me a lot of time & money.

Really appreciate this amazing forum for new businesses.

mtobin
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    al-bsm, post: 153031 wrote:
    Hi Ken,

Steve and Shelcom have already done a great job answering the questions, so I’ll just expand on #4 (and touch on #1).

You can register your company for GST at the same time you register for your ABN, which can both be done online at http://www.abr.gov.au.

Re choice of provider, I’ve used ClearDocs before and they’re pretty good value.

Best of luck,

Al.

Trying to register an ACN with ASIC on their website but it says I need to have an ABN so follow the link provided to ABR website to register for ABN but half through the eform it asks for an ACN?? Neither eform works without the other?? Can anyone help?

al.giffard
    Up

Hi mtobin,

To get an ACN you will have to register a company (an ACN will be issued when the company is registered). You can, and must, get the ACN before applying for an ABN if you’re going with a company structure.

To register your company, there are various documentary requirements you need to meet. An accountant can help register a company and enure you meet all the requirements, but if you decide not to use an accountant to register the company, I’d suggest going through one of the various businesses that offer this service (many of them offer it online), instead of going directly to ASIC.

Once the company is registered, you will have an ACN and will be able to appy for an ABN.

Hope that helps,

Al.

al.giffard
    Up

Hi again mtobin,

I should add that Shelcom, a helpful poster on flyingsolo, offers this service. Check Shelcom’s signature in the earlier post for the various links or the direct links is http://www.shelcom.com.au/company-registration.

I’m not affiliated with and haven’t previously used Shelcom, for the record.

Al.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.