Home – New Forums Starting your journey Starting our family business website. Help pleaase.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    WaverleyGlass
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am looking to expand my family business. We are looking to increase our online presence and google ranking. We also wish to receive a higher number of phone calls and quote requests leading to more jobs and work.

We haven’t really paid for a website or advertising before and have succeeded by word of mouth for the past 10 years.

We run a Glass and Glazing business in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
    I have done my best to create my own website and business page on Google. We currently get out ranked and beaten in online search results. There is another larger glazing business a few kilometers away from us with a very similar business name who are our competitors.

We are prepared to spend a couple of hundred dollars on advertising if required. I currently use wordpress.com to update the website and plan on learning more about website creation opposed to outsourcing.

We would greatly appreciate any recommendations on how to improve our website, SEO and google ranking. I am currently transferring to wordpres.org. Do we need to ask other businesses/websites to provide back-links to our site? Do I need to pay for Yoast SEO on wordpress?

http://www.waverleyglass.com.au

Thank-you in advance.
    Eric

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo Eric. It is great to have you!

Thanks for joining and posting today.

I left a reply for you on your other thread.

Cheers

elissa.doxey
    • Total posts: 145
    Up

Hi Eric,
    I use a free version of Yoast on WordPress, which is a good start, but it doesn’t guarantee changing your position on google rankings. If another business with a similar name, service and location is out-performing yours, look at whether they are using google adwords, or what their site descriptions and tags are coming up as.
    If you haven’t already, make sure your google+ page and google business listings are accounted for, as well as a facebook business page.
    Undertaking marketing yourself is difficult – cheaper, yes, but there’s a reason why SEO & marketing consultants earn their keep by charging for their expertise.

Have a look around Flying Solo – there’s heaps of marketing & SEO info & articles.

Cheers,
    Elissa

Lizzy_Lou
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Totally agree with Elissa.

There are so many free wordpress plugins that you would be able to use. We are also using Yoast and we linked this up with our Google Business listing.

I just had a look on your website and I did notice that you don’t seem to have your location on your website, is that because you work out of your home? If you have a warehouse or something might be something to think about adding.

I have spoken to Google a few times on the best way to get your listing higher up in the search and the best thing that they suggest is to have movement on your site and Google Business page. The more activity their system can see the higher your website will appear in searches. Addwords might also be able to help you do this faster and might be a good idea to have a look into.

Regards,
    Liz

WaverleyGlass
    Up
    elissa.doxey, post: 251360, member: 88225 wrote:
    Hi Eric,
    I use a free version of Yoast on WordPress, which is a good start, but it doesn’t guarantee changing your position on google rankings. If another business with a similar name, service and location is out-performing yours, look at whether they are using google adwords, or what their site descriptions and tags are coming up as.
    If you haven’t already, make sure your google+ page and google business listings are accounted for, as well as a facebook business page.
    Undertaking marketing yourself is difficult – cheaper, yes, but there’s a reason why SEO & marketing consultants earn their keep by charging for their expertise.

Have a look around Flying Solo – there’s heaps of marketing & SEO info & articles.

Cheers,
    Elissa
    Thanks Elissa.

This is great information. I have a facebook and Google+ page (which both look relatively bare)

Regards,
    Eric

WaverleyGlass
    Up
    Lizzy_Lou, post: 251368, member: 75533 wrote:
    Totally agree with Elissa.

There are so many free wordpress plugins that you would be able to use. We are also using Yoast and we linked this up with our Google Business listing.

I just had a look on your website and I did notice that you don’t seem to have your location on your website, is that because you work out of your home? If you have a warehouse or something might be something to think about adding.

I have spoken to Google a few times on the best way to get your listing higher up in the search and the best thing that they suggest is to have movement on your site and Google Business page. The more activity their system can see the higher your website will appear in searches. Addwords might also be able to help you do this faster and might be a good idea to have a look into.

Regards,
    Liz

Hi Liz,

Thank-you for the useful information.
    We work from home. People occasionally pick glass up from us. Should I add an area we operate in on our website as the location in a map based format? Local work is preferred obviously.

Should I set aside time each week to update our Google+ page and find people to add/connect with on Google+?

Thanks,
    Eric

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

The Google page mentioned above is not Google+, it’s the Google business page, completely different, start here: https://www.google.com/business/

Doing anything on Google+ is only worth your time if your target market is using Google+, which is unlikely…

And that’s the crux of the matter: Where are your potential customers and how are they finding services like yours? (and this won’t be just online…)

With SEO, you need to do keyword research to find out what they are searching for, and then optimise your site (and different pages/sections) around those keywords. No use having a page that ranks number 1 for a keyword no one is searching.

And in the end it might be worth spending a few hundred dollars a month if someone can improve your online presence enough that you’re bringing in a few thousand dollars a month in new business, but a value you will need to decide on obviously.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.