Home – New Forums Money matters Starting Out Importing a Product to Sell – Tax & GST questions ??!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    aimeea
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hello all & what a great resource these forums have proved to be so far!

I have designed a product which I have had made in China and will need to import a large quantity.

I am at a loss when it comes to GST and tax. Do I register for GST even though I have not earned over 75k from this business as yet?

Can I claim back the GST that I need to pay when I import the goods to Australia? I read somewhere you can defer this somehow to pay it later?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

hi and welcome

you best port of call for GST is the Australian Tax Office

Cheers
    Corey

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to the Forums. It is great to have you!

Your best advice will come from an accountant.

In the meantime, yoiu will not have to register for GST right away and GST is a tax you collect on sale of goods and services that you send back to the ATO so you do not pay GST when you import goods.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 237818, member: 78928 wrote:
    so you do not pay GST when you import goods.

Paul, can you provide further details on this link

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/In-detail/Rules-for-specific-transactions/International-transactions/GST-and-imported-goods/

Taxopia
    Participant
    • Total posts: 301
    Up

Its generally the case with commercial importations that customs will levy GST as part of the clearance process unless you are registered under the deferred GST scheme. The biggest pain of this being switching to monthly activity statements and keeping them up to date. On a monthly basis the deferral is not exactly going to give you a big cash flow holiday. So fundamentally you need to be ready to pay GST on or shortly after the time of importation.

Easysmb
    • Total posts: 84
    Up

HI There
    GST Registration: yes, you don’t have to register if under $75K.
    GST credit claim: if you want to claim GST credit, you have to register GST.
    GST defer: As Alex said, you will need to require to lodge monthly GST.
    GST defer benefit: if your business report GST based on cash basis, the benefit is that you do not pay ATO GST until you received the payment from your client. Our understanding is that if your deferred GST cashflow benefits out weigh the monthly compliance requirements, then it is beneficial to register GST defer.

Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.