• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    favco
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

I am a registered Domestic and Commercial builder from Melbourne.

I have recently obtained my builders registration, which was an achievement in itself, as it is becoming increasingly harder (especially for unlimited category), which I believe is a good thing for the industry as it ensures a high level of competency.

Anyway, it’s great to know there is a website like this one out there for people like myself, looking for as much help as we can get.

Unfortunately or fortunately, however you want to look at, my expertise lies in the actual on site side of the industry, with my background being the progression of trade to tertiary education to managing projects on the ground. So I have never really had much exposure to the business development side of things, including marketing, developing a trusted brand and getting a business out there and known.
    I am desperate for some advice in these areas, and any ideas people have on securing more work, given the fact that a new construction company is virtually an unproven entity.
    Sometimes I think maybe I should have waited longer before I took the leap to run my own business, but I am absolutely passionate about what I do and it’s easy to find excuses not to do it, but you’ve got to start somewhere, right?

Well I look forward to some feedback and any other suggestions on offer .
    Cheers

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Hey Mate, welcome!

What sort of work do you do exactly?

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Hi and congrats on getting the registration. I remember years ago my ex husband getting his and it was a drama even then!

What type of clients are you aiming for? Can you use some of the jobs you have worked on before, even if you were working for someone else, as examples? I guess it all depends on the type of clients you want – the big jobs I would suggest networking with those in that industry – I know for example in Sydney there is a large ‘network’ of corporate architects / building companies and a lot of business is done that way. Or are you looking more for residential?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Favco and welcome

Congratulations on your new qualification – sounds like a hard slog!

Hope you find the info you’re looking for.

All the best,
    Jayne

favco
    Up

Hey Chris,

My focus is smaller commercial work, including shopfitting, which I have been doing a bit of lately. But I also do all domestic work, new homes, extensions etc, I’m fortunate to have had experience across a broad range of projects thus far, so I am comforable with most work.

At this stage though I am willing to price any work really, just to keep some money coming in.

Cheers

favco
    Up

Cheers and thanks for the response.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

GDay Favco,

It’s great that you’re well versed in the world of construction, but I think you need to niche more.

What do you love the most?

What’s most profitable for you?

Pick one, work out who your target market is – you will then find you CAN market yourself and start pulling customers.

Dream Group
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi Favco,

Welcome. Congrats on the qualification.

Good to have you as part of the forum.

Regards
    Warren

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Hi Favco

My ex also went through this about eleven years ago and it was a major process so congratulations on having achieved it.

Favco you might be interested in this tradie needs business advice thread. There is a lot of info and ideas there that you may find helpful.

I agree with the other comment here that you may need to niche more.

I have never really had much exposure to the business development side of things, including marketing, developing a trusted brand and getting a business out there and known.
    I am desperate for some advice in these areas, and any ideas people have on securing more work, given the fact that a new construction company is virtually an unproven entity.

If you are after general info on how to grow your business you will find plenty of help here. If you can tell us what specific advice you are after in the marketing and development side then you may get more specific tips.

Best of luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.