Home – New Forums Selling online Starting with local sales online. Suggestions?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #991521
    Rosemark
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Everyone,

    I hope everything is going well with your respective ventures.

    I’m looking for suggestions on how I might be able to sell through a website but only sell locally with the intention to expand to other locations in the future. I know it sounds a bit counter intuitive to sell online and restrict it by geography but I am planning on starting with low levels of stock, I will be able to focus my marketing and they are bulky items that are expensive to transport.

    One thought I had was just to note on the website that I will be expanding to other regions and if a customer was interested in the product they could leave their email address and postcode and I would let them know when it is available in their region. Though I’m not sure anyone would bother and they may just look elsewhere.
    Another thought was to have a location specific website such a http://www.Brisbane.Example.com.au.
    I would love to hear any thoughts on these approaches or alternate approaches that could be taken.

    Thanks in advance FS community.
    Mark

    #1181923
    John Debrincat
    Member
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    0
    ::
    Rosemark, post: 212238 wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

    I hope everything is going well with your respective ventures.

    I’m looking for suggestions on how I might be able to sell through a website but only sell locally with the intention to expand to other locations in the future. I know it sounds a bit counter intuitive to sell online and restrict it by geography but I am planning on starting with low levels of stock, I will be able to focus my marketing and they are bulky items that are expensive to transport.

    One thought I had was just to note on the website that I will be expanding to other regions and if a customer was interested in the product they could leave their email address and postcode and I would let them know when it is available in their region. Though I’m not sure anyone would bother and they may just look elsewhere.
    Another thought was to have a location specific website such a http://www.Brisbane.Example.com.au.
    I would love to hear any thoughts on these approaches or alternate approaches that could be taken.

    Thanks in advance FS community.
    Mark

    Hello Rosemark,

    There is nothing wrong with starting local. Many online store systems will allow you to set the ranges of postcodes and regions that are acceptable to allow orders. But simply stating that you are accepting orders within a certain range would be ok. Using Google Local Business you can get targeted search results from your local area.

    But I guess my key question is why?

    If people are outside your area can they come and pickup for example?

    A benefit to selling online is the ability to expand the area into which you can sell.

    Regards

    John

    #1181924
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::

    I would echo john’s question – why?

    But having said that you may have a natural filter anyhow, if you set your postage / shipping charges at a higher rate for area outside your sales reion, that would most likely filter out the distant clients. But you may be lucky to pick up an extra sale or 2 out of it anyhow.

    Even with low stock levels does it matter if you sell it to someone 2 suburbs accross or in the next state in business a sale is a sale.

    I do some sales on Ebay, i have dont post overseas, but get the odd enquiry from overseas, and generally when I quote the postage rate it scares them of anyhow. But at the same time, I have had a couple of sales where the postage to the US was well in excess of $50.00, but they were more than happy to pay. If someone is happy to pay high shipping charges who am i to argue.

    In a retail type business as sale is a sale is a sale

    #1181925
    Rosemark
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks John,
    I guess the main reason I’m thinking is the cost of transporting approx 2cbm is high. I’m happy to let the customer pay it but I guess I’d like a way to save the customer money by letting them know that I hope to have stock located in more locations around the country in the future.
    Maybe I should not restrict it and just put a note to that effect.
    Does anyone else have experience with this issue?
    Cheers,
    Mark

    #1181926
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::
    Rosemark, post: 212243 wrote:
    Thanks John,
    I’m happy to let the customer pay it but I guess I’d like a way to save the customer money by letting them know that I hope to have stock located in more locations around the country in the future.

    Mark,

    Generally but not always if a customer wants something they want it now, not some time in the future, so I think if you knock back a potential sale thinking it will still be there in the future you may be a little hopeful.

    #1181927
    Rosemark
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks bb1,
    Hadn’t read your reply when I wrote to John. Thanks for the thoughts. I can’t really see any issue with allowing anyone to pay for delivery but I’m thinking I don’t want to scare off a potential customers if some time in the near future I can provide it to them cheaper. Maybe if I have them enter their email and postcode before giving delivery fees then I can target anyone that doesn’t go through with a purchase.

    #1181928
    Rosemark
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::
    bb1, post: 212244 wrote:
    Mark,

    Generally but not always if a customer wants something they want it now, not some time in the future, so I think if you knock back a potential sale thinking it will still be there in the future you may be a little hopeful.

    Good point about wanting it now. Maybe it’s just the nature of it these days that I’ll need to open it up to anyone and just hope they are willing to pay to get it to them.
    Thanks Everyone!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.