Home – New Forums Tech talk Startup IT Costs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rob13
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Good morning all,

Firstly I must say this is a great forum and am impressed with the quality of knowledge and advice offered by members surrounding various business matters

Just a quick question – what would the average set up cost the IT end of a business (website business – need in-house servers, networking etc).

I have been told it can be pretty expensive but don’t know how to find out a rough estimate (other than looking at all websites) for a whole complete package.

Your input is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Rob

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Rob,

Welcome to the forum.

The average can greatly vary depending on what type of IT services you plan on offering…. I started out 7 years ago as a simple home service technician and my startup costs were just:

Business name registration $120, got a prepaid Mobile Phone account (about $30/month) & I choose to get a PO Box (only because of living circumstances – about $100/year). I started with a free hotmail account and then later added the domain name, for website and hosting, then later again my own server etc etc etc.

So you don’t have to really spend much at all, it really is up to you and your business requirements.

Hope this helps and all the success.
    Brent.

Rob13
    Up

Thanks Brent,

Very helpful but I was looking more at hosting my email and file sharing on an in-house server/network then once the website is live, bolt-on a database facility.

Still in planning phase what you have said is helpful but I have also seen to register a pty ltd will cost c.$635 (including their fee to lodge the papers) though incorporator

Just trying to see what other people have done in their experience and shed some light on success and failures in the IT setup.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

IMHO self hosting is false economy. Do it for fun, but not for your business website.

But if you insist on the cheapest. You could run IIS on your windows 7 desktop and an external drive as your file server. You can add an SQL database to your win 7 desktop later as needed.

or get a hosting package that includes mysql for $5 a month, and a cheap nas from officeworks for $150 add your drives for another $200 and your set with raid1 redundancy.

FYI
    power consumption of running your desktop 24/7 is around $250 p.a
    and the user experience for self hosted websites on adsl 2+ is shocking.

Steve

Brent@Ontrax
    Up

well with the new information you have provided then:

1. Yes it will cost about $1000 for all the PTY LTD setup costs and remember you’ll need insurance/workers comp as well.
    2. Depending on the type of web/email hosting on average there are good places from about $8/month.
    3. A startup HP ML310 server costs about $1000 and then you have to decided the type of operating system (Windows/Linux), virtualise the machine, stand alone.
    4. Internet connection at home/office. If you plan to host the server yourself then you’ll need a staitic IP or use DynDNS.

I have VPS hosted servers from about $350/month but you can also get Exchange Online or Google Apps etc etc etc.

Phillip P
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

Hosting email in house price.

Server: $2000 on going maintenance 100/200 a year.
    DB Server: $4000

Licensing on server: $19 a month per email address

Software on server email: $700
    Software DB: $800
    OS software: $1200

Internet ISP 1 = $99
    Internet ISP 2 = $69

Router with BGP = $770 for an average one.

have i dont it all before??? Yes

Did i learn my lesson… Sure did.

Let me be honest with you dont waste your time and money just cause you may think its the better way.

If you want control of having your own stuff to manage colocation everything in a datacentre. Its safer as you cant get insurance without a BIG FAT premium if your doing it at home.

Other options come into 2013. I can fire up thousands of DB servers at a time with three clicks of the mouse. Have them talking to my Private LAN in about 10 mins with another two clicks of a button.

If the instance is having problems you can move it in under 1 hours to a new instance that cost you NOTHING in setup that took you 2 mins.

The cloud is amazing when you know how to use it.. Oh i mean the real cloud not the BS that marketing is using now for everything.

aws.amazon.com would be the cheapest check them out.

Rob13, post: 148024 wrote:
    Thanks Brent,

Very helpful but I was looking more at hosting my email and file sharing on an in-house server/network then once the website is live, bolt-on a database facility.

Still in planning phase what you have said is helpful but I have also seen to register a pty ltd will cost c.$635 (including their fee to lodge the papers) though incorporator

Just trying to see what other people have done in their experience and shed some light on success and failures in the IT setup.

Rob13
    Up

Wow, thanks Phillip and Trent that is very informative and has helped my research greatly.

I have been looking at cloud services but I cant wrap my head around the security and whether the host owns your data or not.

Philip have you jumped ship to cloud technology?

Phillip P
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

Hi mate,

I sold my hosting company with over 15 Racks at equinix datacentre here in mascot so i know a bit about it.

I do everything on the cloud now and its easier than you think.

You own you data and the the servers are very secure nobody has access as they are instances and your using certain resources etc.

I did need some convincing after selling my hosting company as i still had many of my business sites and partner sites making serious money and needed to be shown how it works.

I suggest you speak to Myles from http://www.netracom.net/ he is aussie based and really helped me decide what i needed to do. He can probably show it to you over skype how easy it is and give you platform to use.

He runs cloud for many large and gov organisations. He also was my head network engineer. email myles.agnew @ netracom.net remove spaces

Brent@Ontrax
    Up
    Phillip P, post: 148036 wrote:
    You own you data and the the servers are very secure nobody has access as they are instances and your using certain resources etc.

As Phillip said, You own the data but it is your responsibility to maintain system updates, patches. The Hosting company provides you with the virtual machine and you do with it as you wish. If you find you need more resources, (IE: Cores, Memory, Storage) then the host increases it for you. The Host ensures up time, security to their network and performs their own backups, but you should MOST DEFINATELY perform your own file backups, as the host does system images and can not restore individual files. But if you load an application etc that creates a hole on you server, then only that server is at risk.

Once again you really have to look at what you are trying to achieve before deciding on the server configuration & location, you can purchase your own physical server and place it into a Data centre, you can take out a VPS/Cloud solution or you can go for Microsoft Azure services. All have their Pros & Cons.

I use 2 types: I have my own physical server, which is vitualised to have a Linux firewall and use for website concepts and then a MS Server for Exchange and File storage. Then I use a cloud MS Server for application development, which I share with Overseas and then demo to clients.

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    eStrategyPro.com, post: 0 wrote:
    I agree here.

If you host your own server in your office, you have to worry about offsite backups, Internet connection quality, physical security of your machine and insurance.

Whereas if you rent a server from Amazon Web Service (AWS), you don’t need to worry about all these. If you need a Windows machine, you can easily rent a Windows Server 2012 from AWS and Remote Desktop to that server anytime you want.

AWS has a free usage tier for 1 year for new registrations.

I’ll just jump in and clarify that the free usage tier doesnt apply to windows instances.

Steve

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Rob, seriously, just organise hosting using an external service provider.

I think you’re making this much more difficult than it needs to be.

arvoApp
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

+1 for external hosting providers to keep costs down. Also make sure you monitor and organise backups yourself.

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    eStrategyPro.com, post: 0 wrote:
    I went to http://aws.amazon.com/free/ and found this paragraph at the bottom:

So, does that mean that Windows 2012 are eligible for the free tier? I ran Windows 2012 instances and was only charged after I exceeded the first free 1 million I/O.

I dont have a direct answer to your question. But when your logged in check your account activity to verify exactly what your being charged for.

Steve

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.