Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Startup Newbie :: connecting students and instructors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    christianlebe
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I read the FlyingSolo long time ago and love it to the bits of it. Lots of gems there. After so many failures, finally I have found my passion – creating a simple startup website.
    My current project is called instructo. The website is called http://www.instructo.com.au

Basically it is a marketplace for instructors in Australia. We have just relaunched the website. I found my weakness is not being able to focus on one thing, so this new year resolution is to focus on instructo.com.au

At the moment, I am focussing on penetrating the music teacher industry in Western Australia. However, it is still hit and miss. I havent had much luck through my facebook advertising.

I’d really appreciate any suggestion on getting tractions for my site. I’m keen to get more students for all the music teachers in instructo.com.au

But in the meantime, I’d love to hang around and see if I can help anyone :-) I suppose it’s kinda rude to ask help before offering help :)

Thanks again all :-)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Just a couple of comments.

Not sure what search you are using, but when I put in my postcode, it comes up with everything accept my suburb. When I put my suburb in it comes up with England and Canada first, make it easy for me

The first one I selected (88keys), said they were in Vic, showed on the map as Ferntree gully or there abouts, but they serviced a heap of WA suburbs,, their travel bill must be huge.

It may just be me, but I think your reviews, should be moved down and your what do you want to learn today moved up, who really reads reviews anyhow, and we want to get straight to searching.

Personally I get turned of by false claims ”Browse lessons from hundreds of instructors in your city”.. Sorry not true

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi,

Firstly welcome, we all understand the struggle to get a business up and running, so well done on focusing on that and getting it started.

I totally agree with Bert about the layout of the front page, move the reviews down and “What do you want to learn today?” up. Visually it would look better, and people don’t care about the general reviews, only the instructor reviews.

BUT, one of the key areas I think that is missing is the How it Works, you have a bit on your “About Us” page, but that is all the way down the bottom.

You have to build trust to get people on board, it’s a catch 22 for you at the moment, as you need both tutors and students. So when people go to your site, they have to understand how it works, costs etc etc

Once you have made some minor changes, I suggest getting to the University pronto to help build it up ready for the new year of students. Maybe try and get into their Student Union newsletter etc. A lot of uni students tutor to make money, and a lot of them are music students, WA has a lot of music studied at uni, so they could be great tutors. IE School of Music at UWA.

I know you are focusing on Music Teachers, but to be more rounded, you need to focus on a large scale to be able to compete with the existing platforms.

Good luck and I hope these idea help

Cheers
    Mischelle

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

First I think the idea is great!
    However there is not much in your site right now. I typed in my suburb and violin and nothing comes up. I know of at least two violin teachers here probably there are more. Then I typed in composing, nothing, no music teacher I searched came up. I think you must have a pretty complete list of teachers or people will give up.
    If you want to concentrate on music, I would do that first (or anything else) but leave the website name and later expand. Probably you will have to fill in the first thousand teachers yourself (have fun). Around here every second person is a music teacher.
    I looked a bit further in your website and it is pretty slow loading is it the pictures? The about site has a few typos and the text could be brushed up a bit. A small company needs photos of staff owner (and the dog).

christianlebe
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Thanks everyone for the feedback and encouragement. I am taking all in.

Spot on advice on adding credibility to the site. I am working on it.

With one man band and one freelancer it is nearly impossible to have all subjects and locations covered. I am focussing on Music teacher in Western Australia for now. All my advertising has been targeted towards it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.