Home – New Forums Starting your journey Startup seeking input

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    namedroppr
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I have a web start up which has started the build but I am currently ‘bootstrapping’ it whilst working my day job.

I have the opportunity to go out on my own with an almost complimentary business.

Here’s the question: Do I use the current name of the business/website (namedroppr.com) and work the other business under this or do I start with another business name, keeping the two separate. I am tending towards the latter.

Thoughts and questions welcome!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi namedroppr,

I’m not the right person to comment on your questions, but I did want to give you a warm welcome to the forums.

You may need to give us a bit more info before any of the brains trust here can advise you, so if there’s a way that you can update this thread without giving away any info you’re not ready to, I recommend that you do that.

Thanks for joining us,
    Jayne

namedroppr
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 206750 wrote:
    Hi namedroppr,

I’m not the right person to comment on your questions, but I did want to give you a warm welcome to the forums.

You may need to give us a bit more info before any of the brains trust here can advise you, so if there’s a way that you can update this thread without giving away any info you’re not ready to, I recommend that you do that.

Thanks for joining us,
    Jayne

Hi Jayne,

Thank you. And yes I realise the information was a bit vague.

My initial and core business is an online model whereas I can start producing revenue from a non online source. I don’t want the online brand to suffer moving forward by perceptions that it is something else…..Again probably a bit vague.

I guess the question is. Do I start a PTY company and have 2 two businesses running under that to maintain brand integrity or ‘morph’ the brand as I move forward…?

ThexArm
    • Total posts: 253
    Up

You are not giving much away…. It’s pretty hard to say anything based on the information…

I think the dilemma you have is that you have 2 different business ideas and want to use same resources. Is my assumption right?

It is possible to register a pty ltd company and then register your 2 business ideas as business names. So that you can register a domain name using those registered business names. I guess you could do this without registering a pty ltd company. But a pty ltd company is a separate entity.

Peter Watson
    • Total posts: 98
    Up

Keep separate!

Natalie Khoo
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Hi there. I think it really depends on what the two businesses are. If the two products/services are similar, it might be better to have them under the one brand name so you can showcase a range of similar products to make it look as though you’re bigger/more capable. Likewise, if the existing business already has a lot of brand equity (i.e. people recognise and are familiar with it) then I think morphing your other idea into it is good – this allows you to leverage its popularity. On the flipside, if they’re completely different products/services, definitely keep them separate. Good luck!

GavinSloan
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Just a thought… Why not launch ONE business first and get that to a position where it’s stable and profitable, and then worry about how to launch the second one :-)

namedroppr
    Up
    GavinSloan, post: 207250 wrote:
    Just a thought… Why not launch ONE business first and get that to a position where it’s stable and profitable, and then worry about how to launch the second one :-)

Thanks for all the input!

This is exactly what I have decided on.

One business is a Creative/Marketing/Print Brokering concern, which I am kicking off right away. The other is a unique web based business which will take some development (so watch this space).

Essentially my thinking is I can separate one of the businesses from the company at a later stage.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.