Home – New Forums Other discussions State of Your Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Breevree73
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone.

I’m in the throes of developing an exciting idea that I was hoping you could all help me with.

I am in business to help others to achieve what they want from their business.

This could mean they don’t want to be any bigger than a soloist, but would like to streamline their processes, or it could mean they have massive ideas for expansion, and need some ideas on how to make this a reality.

The first thing I do is to find out what the owner wants for their business, and then help them achieve that :)

At the moment, I am collecting information to set up an online tool for business owners to be able to examine their own circumstances to see where they are at compared to their ideal for their business, and to provide some direction on moving forward.

I’ve been researching madly, but having some trouble finding information regarding the mindset of business owners who are going through transitions – like from a one-man-band to a couple of employees, or from a small to medium enterprise, or even a complete change of direction.

If you’ve have been through one of those transitions, or are ready to transition in one of those ways, I’d love to hear about the physical, mental and of course the insidious financial roadblocks you faced/are facing. If you’ve met and moved those roadblocks, I’d love to hear your experience there as well.

I’m trying to think of a carrot I can offer you in exchange for your story, but I can’t think of anything – after all, the online tool will be free (so offering you access to that is kind of pointless), and I will be publishing my research online as well, so I can’t offer you that either.

I guess the carrot is the internal pat on the back you get for sharing with a fellow soloist :)

Thanks in advance.

Bree

bmd
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Hi Bree

I have been through the stage of going from a one man band to bringing in subcontractors and the biggest fear was that they would ruin my business because they:

1. Wont work as hard
    2. Dont have the same attention to details (i own a cleaning business!)
    3. Probably just don’t care

We took the plunge and it has increased profit but has been hard work – the key in hindsight would have been to look for staff well before I needed them and have them start. It would have reduced my income but we would have had the time to find the right staff from the start and not go through so many hurdles!

Now we have just opened our online shop and that is going to bring many challenges I’m sure!!

Hope that helps just a little – if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Matt

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Bree,

What a massive project you are embarking upon! But, can certainly see this line of work being massively rewarding and worth the effort in the research/starting stages. I assume then the plan would be to offer additional services to people that use your tool to get some initial direction? All the best moving forwards.

My biz is still pretty young so not ready for huge expansions just yet.

The first thing I do is to find out what the owner wants for their business, and then help them achieve that

It’s a hard question really – what do I want for my business? Ultimately, I am happy staying a relatively small operation, not looking to take over the world – but I do want to be in a position to bring on a couple of others (not for a while) so that I can focus on the things I enjoy about ‘my job’ and not have to be attending to every aspect. So, essentially my ‘want’ would be to have trustworthy persons, experienced and capable in certain areas of business to grow those areas whilst I focus on those I am most knowledgable and skilled at (I think!)

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Oooh intriguing Bree!

Looking forward to hearing some more.

Im with Matt above. On a whole, I get tired of paying subcontractors to do a dodgy job, so I flog myself to complete everything instead :D

It is very much a quality control issue for me. I don’t want to pay that sort of price for time leverage.

Breevree73
    Up

Thank you so much for your feedback Matt.

Can I ask – how many subbies have you gone through before you found the right ones? And over what length of time? And (trickier) how long before you needed them would you have thought would be a good time to start looking for them? :)

Was it more that there wasn’t time enough to train them before they started the job? Or were they supposed to be experienced workers?

There is a figure floating around that when a business owner goes hands off from their business, they can expect a drop of up to 20% of revenues. The reasoning behind that is apparently because a business owner has so much more invested in the business, that they flog their guts out to make it work, but your workers, so long as they are receiving their pay packet, are happy just to puddle along.

Best of luck with your online store – should be fun!!

Again, thanks so much for your response. Sets me off thinking about a whole pile of other possibilities for my research!!

Cheers

Bree

Breevree73
    Up

Hi Jacqui

Yes, it’s a tough question for most of us to answer!! I like to put it this way:

What would the situation look like where you can sit back, let out a big sigh of relief and say to yourself “This is the ideal spot I wanted to be in when I started out.”?

For me, it involves being able to spend time with my son, have an income that provides for me now and into the future, and have a business (or businesses!) that feed not only my body but also my soul – so it needs to be something that nurtures my creative side, my philosophical side, my philanthropic side AND my physical needs.

I’m well on the way to meeting those goals – though there are quite a few years of hard work ahead of me yet before I can sit back, relax, let out my big sigh of relief and say “This is the ideal.”

So, answer that one – what does your perfect situation look like?

Cheers, and thanks for your response.

Bree

Breevree73
    Up
    TheGoldenGoose, post: 124096 wrote:
    On a whole, I get tired of paying subcontractors to do a dodgy job, so I flog myself to complete everything instead :D.

Hahahaha! Yep, know how that one goes!!

But there will come a day when you just can’t flog yourself anymore – what are you going to do then???

Think about what Matt said about starting sooner rather than later to bring people on board – is there a way you could leverage that to ‘train’ people in what you need them to do, so that when you need it done, they are there, and willing and able to do it to the standards you require?

Just an idea :)

Thanks for your response.

Bree

bmd
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    Breevree73, post: 124102 wrote:
    Thank you so much for your feedback Matt.

Can I ask – how many subbies have you gone through before you found the right ones? And over what length of time? And (trickier) how long before you needed them would you have thought would be a good time to start looking for them? :)

Was it more that there wasn’t time enough to train them before they started the job? Or were they supposed to be experienced workers?

There is a figure floating around that when a business owner goes hands off from their business, they can expect a drop of up to 20% of revenues. The reasoning behind that is apparently because a business owner has so much more invested in the business, that they flog their guts out to make it work, but your workers, so long as they are receiving their pay packet, are happy just to puddle along.

Best of luck with your online store – should be fun!!

Again, thanks so much for your response. Sets me off thinking about a whole pile of other possibilities for my research!!

Cheers

Bree

Hey Bree

We have been through about 20 and countless others who have applied!! Its taken over a year to get us to where we are happy with who we have, now we just need to keep them!

The tricky question – well its hard to say, probably 3 months as the whole process was a very big learning curve.

As far as business revenue. Yes it went down – basically to cover wage costs, but with the right team in place now, business has doubled – so it has been well worth it!

Have fun with your research – if you have any other questions feel free to ask!!

Matt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.