Home – New Forums Other discussions Staying motivated…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LauraFisher
    • Total posts: 115
    Up
    ::

I’m curious…how do you sustain passion for your work day in and day out?

Concept
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

I have a morning routine that gets me in a great space. Its:

• 7am (6am if I have a big day ahead) Wake up and get dressed for the day (clothes are set out the night before). I’ll chuck on my headphones with music at this stage.
    • 7:05: Big glass of water with creatine & CoQ10, and a multivitamin.
    • 7:06: Prepare Breakfast (I try to get at least 20g of protein, 30g of good carbs and some vegetables in there too)
    • 7:15: Eat breakfast
    • 7:20: Put water on the boil & meditate for 10 minutes.
    • 7:35: Prepare Tea
    • 7:40: Drink tea whilst sitting with my dogs (they always put me in a good mood) and writing down 3 things I’m grateful for, 1 thing that will make today great, and my ‘why’. <- that would be the key motivator in the morning
    • 7:50: Prep for the day – turn on computer, review todos etc
    • 8am get started

I also have a group of people that I check in with every week that keeps me on track and present.

And sometimes there is no motivation or passion (eg I’m just in a crap mood, something happened etc), and you just gotta do what you gotta do. Don’t have your actions determined by how you feel. This doesn’t happen often, but it’s good to remember when things go to poop.

Also, have a life outside of work is HUGE.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

It sounds very regimented if you replicate that same routine every morning, but I guess if it works and keeps you happy then nothing wrong there. When things can and do unexpectedly throw you each morning, you can only have a plan to a certain degree. Most of my must to-dos for that day are well prepared before the day starts, so this helps with the plan of action, however the diversions and distractions can easily deviate you from the must to-dos and often compromising those to-dos that’s aren’t on the must list.

Exercise and the right breakfast seem essential to get the head and blood flowing in the right direction. :D, as you can easily get caught up and not eat again for many more hours.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    LauraFisher, post: 238739, member: 40107 wrote:
    I’m curious…how do you sustain passion for your work day in and day out?

Envelopes with clear panes on the front, and emails telling me someone wants some more money.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

LOL [USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER] you crack me up !!!! Totally get what you are saying :)

[USER=59003]@Concept[/USER] WOW, you have a very clear regiment, I don’t have this sort of thing in place, but I think I need to start enforcing some of the things on your list.

My morning is Coffee and computer, start work.

Staying motivated is hard work, keeping the passion for what you are doing is even harder. After doing the same thing for over 10 years I have many days that I dream of working for someone else, not worrying about payroll, or ATO, or every other thing we all have to worry about.

BUT, I have created a business that changes all the time, so every few months I have to get the thinking cap on to add new features or services, so that keeps me motivated.

My client also keep me going, I have so many amazing clients, when I go and visit them we go out for coffee and chat, I get to know them on a different level, and all these clients are huge corporate clients, but it’s still about the people.

So I suppose it’s the people that keep me going, not the money (although it does help), not working for myself, but seeing my clients eye’s light up when I tell them about a new idea or feature.

Concept
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Thank [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER]
    Yeah, I find having a morning routine means I don’t have to think about it. I save my willpower and decision-making powers for something that moves me forward instead of whether I should put peanut butter or vegemite on my toast ;)

It means that motivation and passion in the morning is something that happens as a result of my routine rather than something that I generate. Think of it as using my surroundings to guide my emotions. ie using the path to guide the elephant. More here: [MEDIA=youtube]X9KP8uiGZTs[/MEDIA]

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Honestly if you’re passionate about your business every single day, then I think you’re either insane or work with dolphins.

I’m with Greg, passion gets you into your business and motivation allows you to make changes.
    But it’s fear and discipline that keeps you going on a day to day basis.

LauraFisher
    Up

[USER=20554]@JohnTranter[/USER] haha dolphins!

[USER=59003]@Concept[/USER] love it – what’s the saying… “motivation gets us start, habit keeps up going”?

[USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] I feel like I’m a lot like you – agree that it’s more than money (I have a habit of volunteering a lot!) and that energy from other people is a factor.

[USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER] hilarious :D In my last employee gig I used to feel such a sense of accomplishment when those cheques would turn up in the mail… like little pats on the back they were.

LauraFisher
    Up

[USER=78188]@Trista Millard[/USER] not cliché at all. I feel the same :)

J.Zkan
    • Total posts: 87
    Up

People love the feeling of being motivated, but they don’t like putting in the work to do something about that feeling.

Lack of action is one way not to do it. One thing I’m doing is I’m constantly in motion, I’m in motion of changing my game or I’m changing my product,
    I’m changing all the time, I’m redoing my pitch over and over again, I’ve got different ideas on how to sell, you know this didn’t work, try it this way or that didn’t work try it that way. Constantly in motion.

You gotta learn to love losing. It’s part of the game.

LauraFisher
    Up
    J.Zkan, post: 239556, member: 85132 wrote:
    People love the feeling of being motivated, but they don’t like putting in the work to do something about that feeling.

Lack of action is one way not to do it. One thing I’m doing is I’m constantly in motion, I’m in motion of changing my game or I’m changing my product,
    I’m changing all the time, I’m redoing my pitch over and over again, I’ve got different ideas on how to sell, you know this didn’t work, try it this way or that didn’t work try it that way. Constantly in motion.

You gotta learn to love losing. It’s part of the game.

Yep, like the concept of validated learning… you can’t learn from what you’re doing unless you test test test… keep moving forward with ideas and testing. Whenever something doesn’t work try something else. I like that. Constant motion!

Cody
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

I try not to rely on motivation. It’s too unreliable. I rely on discipline.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.