Home Forums Other discussions #StopBusinessRent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    StopBusinessRent
    • Total posts: 2

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, what a time to join, oh my God. Firstly wishing you ALL and your family a safe time during this unprecedented time of crisis.

#StopBusinessRent

The reason for my thread, up until a few weeks ago we had a successful small family business, a healthy turnover, high profitability, paying our taxes, supporting our local community and the great country of Australia, paying contractors that we worked with on a weekly basis, generating income and providing for ourselves, supporting other small business’s who are reliant on the income generated from our business, also generating income for all the service sectors we were directly linked to. Why now in our darkest hour of need are we abandoned, we collect a lot of GST money per quarter, we pay our annual tax and yet by all intents and purposes it is fine to leave us to go to the wall. How can we pay our outgoings without a income, it is impossible?

The only way SMALL BUSINESS can survive now is business’s who have to pay crazy monthly rents, need rent Relief. No stimulus package at this time will save them. Allowing business to receive payments to meet your general outgoings is great. Food, general expenses. Without the relief (not deferment) of business rent, we are all doomed. Australian small business who pay rents and have been adversely affected by this health & financial crisis must stick together on this #StopBusinessRent

We can’t allow politicians to utilise wartime analogies without also adopting wartime policies, we would not be expected to fight on the front line and pay our business rent, shop, factory, of course we wouldn’t #StopBusinessRent together we can enforce the policy change that only Government can provide. Speaking to individual private landlords and expecting things to turn result positively is, well lets face it ridiculous!

Wishing you all a safe and speedy recovery for your business.

Trent Tran
    Participant
    • Total posts: 166

I see your point and I feel your pain
    But quick question

If the landlord is a large organisation, some are even ASX listed, some are owned and backed by banks, or Superannuation industry, it may take some times for them to respond to you. Simple, they have a hierarchy system

But what about some centres that are owned by some small investors. And these guys have mortgages from the bank

If they don’t meet the monthly required payment, they will receive some nasty letter from the bank too, just like you, they also have a commitment.

Would you think it is better to communicate rather than stop paying the rent all together? For example, ask for an abatement instead or negotiate until you two can agree to.

StopBusinessRent
    • Total posts: 2

I totally understand that in some cases private landlords will have their own commitments to make, though in truth many have seen such huge increases in their wealth in recent years I doubt they will be in too much difficulty especially in the short term.

The thing is Trent if we were expected to fight in a war for our country no doubt there would be wartime policy directives enacted. We are in uncharted waters, we are being told we are in war, we are effectively on the front line, small business owners are being expected to take the loss and the private landlord not bear any loss whatsoever, are you speaking as a private landlord (commercial property owner), &/or do you represent one? Presumably from your viewpoint you are not a small business owner in the same position as the rest of us.

If there is a Government decree to effectively pause then no one will be worse off, lets face it they can stop Wall Street and pause or stop share trading when it so suits, they can just about do anything when the occasion arises, well this is one of those occasions, this is not hard luck, a specific sector has had a hit and your industry is affected, that’s life.

No this is a totally different situation, why should thousands and thousands of small businesses effectively be left to go to the wall. If you don’t employ, you’re a small family business for example though still generate a high turnover and pay quite a lot tax, annual and gst, rent multiples premises as we do, & have effectively been closed down by your Government & we are expected to bear the loss, SORRY that is not why I pay my taxes! That is not the Society I want to be a part of. We can’t be expected to be ‘pulling together’ and hear phrases that ‘we are all in this together’ then be left out in the cold. Simply not going to put up with that, I am sure if the up-swell is significant enough we won’t have to.

If this chain reaction is left to play out I feel that landlords and private property owners who have until recently enjoyed over inflated rents and over inflated prices for their assets will be in a very different situation in 6 months, 12 months, 18 months from now. The knock on effect is perhaps too hard at this early stage to quantify or even imagine.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.