Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Stopped lurking, not it’s my turn to contribue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    davo23
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    ::

Hey guys,

I’ve been a member here for a while now and have read through a lot of forums in the past. I’ve decided to go from hiding to contributing to the forums. I’ve been working in Search Marketing for about 5 Years now and have been running my own SEM company, Flight Digital Media for nearly 2 years.

I’ve had a lot of experience running search, display, remarketing, and product listing ads on Google, and also have experience in SEO. If anyone has any questions about their campaigns they want to shoot my way here, I’ll be happy to answer some questions. Otherwise, I’ll see you in the forums and hopefully can pass on some of my knowledge.

Dave

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the gang. We have some very animated discussions about search around here, so you’ll be in great company.

Looking forward to your contributions :)

Jayne

RachelWrites
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

Hi Dave,

Welcome :)

I too have been using Flying Solo for years but haven’t spent much time in the forums. Nice to meet another lurker!

I’m often asked by clients, “If you had $50 left in the world to spend on advertising, what would you spend it on?”

And I can never quite bring myself to answer “Google Adwords of course!”

I know there must be some benefit, with companies spending thousands every month on their adwords campaigns, but for small players I’m failing to see the benefit (which I know is detrimental to me and unhelpful for my clients).

If a typical click costs between $1.50 and $2.00, and the average conversion rate is 4% (with 10% deemed “Unicorn” status), how can adwords be cost effective for someone selling a product with a profit less than a few hundred dollars?

Is the click cost meant to be that high? Because I understand that a great website leads to higher conversions, but with so many false clicks from advertisers and competitors, I’d say to a client that $50 would get used up pretty quickly without much benefit.

Love to hear some insight from an industry pro on this :)

davo23
    Up
    RachelWrites, post: 203725 wrote:
    Hi Dave,

Welcome :)

I too have been using Flying Solo for years but haven’t spent much time in the forums. Nice to meet another lurker!

I’m often asked by clients, “If you had $50 left in the world to spend on advertising, what would you spend it on?”

And I can never quite bring myself to answer “Google Adwords of course!”

I know there must be some benefit, with companies spending thousands every month on their adwords campaigns, but for small players I’m failing to see the benefit (which I know is detrimental to me and unhelpful for my clients).

Hey, great question. Similar questions are brought up often, I think, because a lot of people have been burnt by either running their own campaigns without any past experience, or going through an agency who has a set and forget mindset with their clients accounts.

I guess my view is, if I had $50 left for marketing I would use it on adwords – but I could be biased :)

RachelWrites, post: 203725 wrote:
    If a typical click costs between $1.50 and $2.00, and the average conversion rate is 4% (with 10% deemed “Unicorn” status), how can adwords be cost effective for someone selling a product with a profit less than a few hundred dollars?

Is the click cost meant to be that high? Because I understand that a great website leads to higher conversions, but with so many false clicks from advertisers and competitors, I’d say to a client that $50 would get used up pretty quickly without much benefit.

Love to hear some insight from an industry pro on this :)

The CPC really does vary a lot between each industry. I run campaigns where we pay $0.20 a click and others that run up to $15 a click. But all the ones I’m working on right now are profitable campaigns. It really comes down to your targeting.

If you’re on a small budget you want to make sure you have a really targeted campaign running:

• Only keywords with high buying intent (criminal lawyers manly)
    • Avoid targeting broad terms (lawyers, solicitors)
    • Keep adgroups really tightly themed eg. all criminal lawyer keywords in one adgroup, all family lawyer keywords in another adgroup etc. This will allow you to have really targeted ads with the keywords in the headings
    • Where possible, create a landing page for each theme. This will help with your quality score and keeping your CPC as low as possible
    • Most improtantly, have a strong call to action on your ads and make the action easy to complete on your landing page

I think if you stick to a tight plan like this, it will give you the best chance of driving sales/leads.

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask any other questions. Always happy to help :)

RachelWrites
    Up

I knew there had to be a method to the madness!

Makes a lot of sense. Accuracy = reduced spend + better results.

And would you tell them to sink the lot in one day or spread it out (i.e.: 5x$10 p/day)?

OzLasers
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

I’m in the same boat and have also recently created an account. Looking forward to getting to know you all and learning more about this topic in particular. :)

davo23
    Up
    RachelWrites, post: 203744 wrote:
    I knew there had to be a method to the madness!

Makes a lot of sense. Accuracy = reduced spend + better results.

And would you tell them to sink the lot in one day or spread it out (i.e.: 5x$10 p/day)?

I think people will have a different opinion on this, but if it was a once off spend I would just let it run until the budget was gone. If it was a monthly budget that someone had, I would pace it out to spend evenly throughout the month. I guess there’s no real right or wrong answer to this, but someone else might chip in with their thoughts here.

RachelWrites
    Up

I tend to agree with you because even just watching from the sidelines and dabbling a bit over the past few years I would say that the budget goes pretty quickly on the early-to-rise clickers who seem to waste your budget, leaving no spend for legitimate clicks for the rest of the day (i.e.: most of the budget is gone before you even have your morning coffee!).

Thanks Dave for your valuable insight. I know many people are really frustrated with this so it’s nice to have an understanding of what can be done to avoid a great advertising opportunity becoming a financial pit-fall!

davo23
    Up
    RachelWrites, post: 203749 wrote:
    I tend to agree with you because even just watching from the sidelines and dabbling a bit over the past few years I would say that the budget goes pretty quickly on the early-to-rise clickers who seem to waste your budget, leaving no spend for legitimate clicks for the rest of the day (i.e.: most of the budget is gone before you even have your morning coffee!).

Thanks Dave for your valuable insight. I know many people are really frustrated with this so it’s nice to have an understanding of what can be done to avoid a great advertising opportunity becoming a financial pit-fall!

No worries at all, glad I could help :)

Oh, one other thing. Google does pick up on invalid/fraudulent clicks and will credit back the ones they pick up. You can read more about it here http://www.google.com.au/ads/adtrafficquality/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.