Home Forums Money matters Stressing outgoing arrears

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Blahish
    • Total posts: 29

So I am currently ahead in rent but have found out that I am in arrears with outgoings.
    Where do I stand?
    These are arrears dating back four years

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889

Hi Blahish,
    We’d probably need to know a little more detail about the situation/background before commenting here? I assume you’d need to pay bills owing, but not sure about going back so far and whose responsibility it is to communicate these things etc…
    Peter

Blahish

On closer inspection my landlord is actually in breach by not providing me recipts and estimate every 12 months

Peter – FS Administrator

That sounds like a better scenario if the exposure is only for 12 months.

Blahish

It’s annoying trying to get legal adivce as according to retail act 2003 in vic my landlord is in breach for the way he or should I say lack of estimates.
    In the 7 years I have rented this building I have only received maybe 3 estimates for outgoings and never received a audited copy at the end of the financial year to reconcile with.
    So I am forking over just on $14000 a year with no idea where it is going.

Peter – FS Administrator

What a frustrating scenario :(

TereeClare Property
    • Total posts: 8

Hi Blahish, if the Landlord doesn’t provide you with a copy of the outgoings reconciliation each year, you should follow this up with them. Annually you should be able to have a look at your outgoings rec and make sure you are being charged correctly for the past financial year. You wouldn’t believe how often Tenants are incorrectly charged by Landlords. You can then check the charges against your lease agreement and make sure you are actually liable for what they are passing on. By the sounds of things you will be covered by the Retail Leases Act so they shouldn’t be passing on costs like land tax, sinking fund levies etc. If I were you, I’d be sending your Landlord a formal letter seeking outgoings breakdowns for all the past years you are yet to receive.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.