Home – New Forums Money matters sub contractors are business expenses?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rking100
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

Hello,

looking for some advice & info,

Lets say I am not registered for gst for my sole trader home services business,

and I intend to use a sole trader sub contractor for lawn mowing, maybe a few times a week.

I would intend for him to visit the client directly and give his own quote for the job,

he charged $ 50 for the job and then passes $10 onto me.

so essentially, I have payed him $40 for his services – so can I claim the total of $40 as a regular business expense? and $10 towards my assessed income?

and does it make a difference if he is registered for gst or not?

how would he work out his tax on his end with and without gst?

Thank you for any replies!

ThexArm
    • Total posts: 253
    Up

If your revenue for the year is/going to be less than $75,000 then you don’t need to register for GST. So, you don’t charge/collect GST for your services.

This rule applies to other contractors as well.

The best way to record this transaction would be $10 income in the form of commission or referral fees. You would issue an invoice to your contractor for $10 as referral fees or commission.

The other way is to bring $50 as income and then show $40 expense. In this case you will need to issue invoice to the client for $50. Then your contractor will issue an invoice for $40 to you. Too much complication.

Rking100
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

thanks for your reply,

So if my subbie IS registered for gst

he will collect it from the client but if I am not registered, he cannot claim anything from his expense to me? is that right?

cheers

ThexArm
    • Total posts: 253
    Up

That is correct because you are not allowed to charge gst on your services.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.