Home – New Forums Starting your journey Subcontracting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Alwayshope
    Participant
    • Total posts: 47
    Up
    ::

Just a question-I am subcontracting-thus work on the premises for a company but invoice them- just wondering what percentage I should put aside for tax-20%? I am just wondering regarding what deductions I can make -since i do work onsite but do work from home for one other client.

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    Alwayshope, post: 159483 wrote:
    Just a question-I am subcontracting-thus work on the premises for a company but invoice them- just wondering what percentage I should put aside for tax-20%? I am just wondering regarding what deductions I can make -since i do work onsite but do work from home for one other client.

http://www.taxcalc.com.au won’t give you the deductions but it’s an awesome resource for finding out how much you’ll owe at the end of the period including levies (if you can estimate your year-end income).

I usually use that and then manually calculate deductions. Then I cry and crawl under the desk, but that’s not really the point.

Sign Here Graphix
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

As far as I am aware you have to have at least 2 clients with an 80/20 split minimum.

Sounds like you need to speak to an accountant though to talk you through claimable expenses, rebates, GST etc…

The last thing you want is thinking you have lodged all you need correctly only to discover the ATO breathing down your neck.

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

Hi Josh I am with “sign here graphix”. Working on site and not using any of your equipment adding to this a higher ratio working on site to home client. You may be deemed as an employee.
    So I strongly recommend for you to make an appointment with your accountant where u can disclose the situation holistically. It is your responsibility to be aware of the Tax requirements and provide adequate evidence in the form of bookkeeping.

Alwayshope
    Participant
    • Total posts: 47
    Up
    Chris – Marketing, post: 159540 wrote:
    Hi Josh I am with “sign here graphix”. Working on site and not using any of your equipment adding to this a higher ratio working on site to home client. You may be deemed as an employee.
    So I strongly recommend for you to make an appointment with your accountant where u can disclose the situation holistically. It is your responsibility to be aware of the Tax requirements and provide adequate evidence in the form of bookkeeping.

hi thanks but i am not an employee as i subcontract and do other work from home

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    Alwayshope, post: 159483 wrote:

20% always seemed to go close for me (when I actually managed to do it). I mentioned in another post, a labour hire company I used to work through withheld 20% for tax and I never had a shortfall come tax time.

As always, your accountant knows best … but I always work on the basis that any cost associated with generating income is deductible (till my accountant tells me I’m wrong). Plus there’s depreciation on assets used to generate income, vehicle etc, if you’re working on site. I’d have thought you’d get a percentage of costs if you have a home office as well (power, data etc)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.