Home – New Forums Other discussions Successful, yet unsatisfied.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Geronimo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 237
    Up
    ::

This has been a significant issue for me, and one I continue to struggle with. I have two goals in life at the moment.

1. Make money to provide for my family and our future.
    2. Provide a net benefit to society globally.

Item 1 is no problem. Business is cranking, has been for several years, with no reason to feel that it will slow down.

Item 2 is where the trouble lies.
    Personally we (my wife and I) have supported several charities over many years since high school. Professionally I have been overwhelmingly blessed financially through my business. This has enabled me to distribute a lot more money to worthwhile causes. It’s not that I’m rich, just that I bring in much more than we need.

We all know that NGO’s need money to do the fantastic work they do. In the deep recesses of my soul, I fear that my role in the bigger picture is to provide the money for the work to be done, when I feel I have so much more to offer.
    Anyone running their own business knows that we posses an enormous range of skills that can be applied to so many different situations.

As a one man band, I struggle with the logistics of getting involved to a greater extent, without my business suffering. I do sit on the board of a not for profit, but am looking for other opportunities to make a difference, but am stuck.

So, with the background out of the way, I would be interested to hear how other business owners are giving, in the hope that there will be ideas that never crossed my mind.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

A friend of mine is involved in Buy1Give1 which he finds really rewarding. The link is for his business’ contribution, but have a look around, it may be something that interests you.

Wendy :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

A friend of mine is involved in Buy1Give1 which he finds really rewarding. The link is for his business’ contribution, but have a look around, it may be something that interests you.

Wendy :)

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I just started using Kiva, they loan people money to get business ventures off the ground.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I just started using Kiva, they loan people money to get business ventures off the ground.

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi there,

What king of business do you run? :-)

There are some Not-For-Profit organisations who have volunteer programs.
    The Cancer Council Victoria for examples has people from the corporate world as volunteers in their call centre. The companies make their employees available for a day every now and then.

But if that’s not an option for you as you said you are a one man shop you could either just keep contributing regularly but also host an event. Choose a charity you want to support (could be sick kids and you organise an event with clowns, jumping castle etc and invite them along for a fun day). You’d also gain some media coverage if you wanted to.

Regards,
    Mel

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi there,

What king of business do you run? :-)

There are some Not-For-Profit organisations who have volunteer programs.
    The Cancer Council Victoria for examples has people from the corporate world as volunteers in their call centre. The companies make their employees available for a day every now and then.

But if that’s not an option for you as you said you are a one man shop you could either just keep contributing regularly but also host an event. Choose a charity you want to support (could be sick kids and you organise an event with clowns, jumping castle etc and invite them along for a fun day). You’d also gain some media coverage if you wanted to.

Regards,
    Mel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.