Home – New Forums Other discussions Suggestion – Keeping the forum healthy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BB
    • Total posts: 215
    Up
    ::

I’d like to make a suggestion regarding member registration…

At the moment, it’s very easy to register and become a member of this forum. In fact, it’s so easy – that you could actually register under different names and by using a different email address each time, nobody would ever know. So – if a “net-nasty” became a member, was discovered and subsequently removed, it wouldn’t matter because that person would be able to continue under any of his/her aliases.

I don’t know how to verify that a member is who they say they are – perhaps a ‘confirmation link’ in an email after registration? (This is not really my area of expertise)

Whilst we don’t wish to deter people from joining this forum, we need to protect the credibility of this site by keeping out the unwanted. Our forum is relatively healthy – we need to keep it that way.

B.B.

competitions
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Hey B.B., Admin here can ban by IP address if it gets to that. Although that won’t stop someone determined enough.

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

There are ways around it, including banning URLs of emails from subscribing. Net nasties are very easily identified on forums and if they do come back it’s pretty easy to pick them up again.

With a business forum, encouraging everyone to put their URL in their signatures is a good way to verify who they are because most businesses would have a phone number or ways to contact them if we need to :)

Melissa

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Thank you for raising this BB.

As the others have mentioned we are able to instigate some pretty far-reaching ‘ban’ procedures if we need to…we have the technology.

No doubt we will have our share of nasties, but with the vigilance and support of our wonderful members we are confident we will keep things healthy.

Do please post (just as you have done) or contact us directly, if ANYTHING concerns you.

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Gotta say, after having just set up a forum very much like this one for another site, I can relate so much more strongly with the FS crew. Not that I have more respect, cos I always knew it was a pain, but MAN is there a lot to this forum bidness.

It’s true though, that a forum is really only as strong as it’s members, and this one’s got a pretty good foundation. If we stay on top of those that would seek to use our forum for their own petty gains, then we got no worries.

Yet another tip o’ the hat to FS forum folks, admins and members alike, I have a newfound appreciation for all that goes into it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.