Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Suggestions to make our site better?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Neddywear
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

I would love some suggestions on how to improve our site to make it look better.

http://www.neddywear.com.au

1.what needs reviewing
    Everything really but mostly cover page

2. What does your business do
    Online retailer of horse rugs and accessories

3. Who is your target market
    Anyone with a horse

4. What specific concerns do you have
    I don’t think it looks professional enough
    When we do online marketing and direct traffic to ebay we get sales, when we direct to our website we don’t.

Please be kind! We did this website ourselves, we know its not great, but it is what we have for now until we can afford/have time to organize another. The vast majority of our business is eBay but we would like to try to get more sales through the site, to avoid eBay fees.

Any suggestions would be great

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi,

I’m am sorry, but there is not much that can be done to this site other than start again.

Lack of branding, poor layout, lack of trust signals, poor pictures, and overall, it lacks a professionalism that is needed if you are going to sell online to people who don’t know you or your business.

One thing you can do is put a phone number on the site for people to contact you.

Personally, I would look at continuing on ebay until you can get some money together and hire a professional to help you out.

First stop? Some nice horse related branding.

Please take this in the spirit it was intended. :)

Cheers,

Matt

Neddywear
    Up

Ouch!! Thanks for your reply, I think!? :)

I actually only just took the phone number down this week as my husband can’t stop to take calls at work, and I don’t know enough about the products myself yet to take calls.

I was hoping for some practical suggestions, but i guess I can take from your reply the reason why we don’t get a lot of sales through there. I will do my best to clean it up for now.

And what exactly do you mean by ‘horse related branding’?

Unifx
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Good Evening,

First off I would like to say never pay money to use those website builders from crazydomains and so on.

main reason being you have no control over it. for instance
    http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neddywear.com.au&tab=mobile

this is your google page speed – this does not mean a lot but its nice to have them in the green ratings.

With the usability of your website its quite easy to follow. but the overall look is very 1990’s sorry if I am being rude I have no intention to be. These days its about minimalism and clean.

(Not to mention mobile responsive)

With the payment system I notice you have a payment gateway installed – that’s nice but I personally would never put my credit card into a site that looks this way – maybe offer an external paypal link also.

If you could tell me more about how this site was build I would love to maybe offer some pointers.

Like for eCommerce I suggest using your own hosting and OpenCart – This is opensource software and if you have minimal skills in design there are a lot of templates out there that are free or even $40-$60

so total cost for all of that would be under $100 on a shared hosting account.

If you have any questions feel free to send them my way :)

WolfD
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

There is enough content there definitely, so as previous member said, NEW LAYOUT and you are not far from a nice, professional site.

Offcouse logo, try opening facebook page in new tab, instead of opening over your page.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Neddywear, post: 190984 wrote:
    Ouch!! Thanks for your reply, I think!? :)

I actually only just took the phone number down this week as my husband can’t stop to take calls at work, and I don’t know enough about the products myself yet to take calls.

I was hoping for some practical suggestions, but i guess I can take from your reply the reason why we don’t get a lot of sales through there. I will do my best to clean it up for now.

And what exactly do you mean by ‘horse related branding’?Hi, thanks for your great PM – I really appreciate it.

Sometimes there can times when a few practical suggestions are needed and sometimes where a wipe the slate approach would be more appropriate.

By horse related branding, I mean you colours and logo needs to be more suited to your business. Amazingly, I found a Pinterest board that has some examples: http://www.pinterest.com/horselogos/equine-logo-collection/

Good luck!

Neddywear
    Up

Thank you everyone for replying.

We have decided to get a whole new site. We have been in touch with a couple of designers and one uses open cart so I am glad to hear the good comments about it. The features look amazing and I love that we can integrate it with ebay which is one of the most frustrating things at the moment, having to manually update stock from one place to another.

I’m still waiting to hear back from another designer, we did speak to them last year about a new site but just never had the chance to do anything. (This is a sideline business plus we have 5 small kids!)

Thanks again for all the replies.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Get Matthew (the guy in this thread) to setup WordPress with WooCommerce over the top.

You won’t be disappointed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.