Home – New Forums Logistics Supply Chains and Streamlining in Restaurant

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    unique
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I haven’t posted in quite some time; I originally posted a while back asking about starting a business and doing it very bootstrap. I want to thank everyone who contributed to that discussion; I’m sure it helped plenty as well as myself significantly.

This was the previous thread:

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/14807-starting-business-read-if-you-dare.html

I wanted to follow up with you all and also ask some questions for people who are knowledgeable about the quick service restaurant industry.

Basically in hindsight I didn’t really know what I was talking about when posting in that thread, however it was always going to be a learning process. Anyway, I’ve managed to virtually secure a lease (my solicitor has just sent some notes to the landlords solicitor and we should be signing Friday next), get some decent start up funding from a bank, a business credit card with a $10,000 limit at 55 days interest free as emergency line of credit money, put together some decent capital by working 2 jobs for about 9 months, and get a pretty good base together all up (shop fitters, concept designers, graphic designers, web designer etc.)

My questions are pretty much in regards to dealing with suppliers and distributors of food products and organising a “supply chain” and also streamlining my business production. I’ve realised quite alot of about the art of negotiation during the last 9 months and am very careful when i speak to suppliers as I want to secure credit terms of at least 30 days if not 60 days; this is why I want to ask first and don’t want to come across as some 22 year old young punk kid who doesn’t know what he’s saying (I realised this when negotiating leases that my age and lack of experience basically killed me when talking terms).

I’ve basically got a food distributor lined up however I need to also organise the distribution of numerous products that arent on the list i.e. gourmet truffle oil, 2 different beverage suppliers, a gourmet food sauce supplier, a supplier of pita bread, meat suppliers etc. I’ve received samples from all my suppliers and have cooked quite a lot of the food and have basically narrowed down my final list of suppliers.

Question 1) I now want to “stream line” all the distribution so my main food distribution company can basically distribute the products of my chosen suppliers (I imagine this will mean I save quite a bit of money when it comes to distribution). Has anyone negotiated this before and have any tips for talking about this with distributors that can help me secure 30 day – 60 day credit terms?

Question 2) I also want my meat suppliers to prepare the meat (i.e. season it with the recipes that a chef-friend of mine helped me prepare) and also separate them into 160 gram patties with a certain diamater and circumference. So far the meat suppliers I have dealt with have refused and said I would need to order pretty big amounts to do this. I was wondering if anyone knew how the big franchises such as Grill’d, Moo burger, Hurricane Grill etc prepare their burger patties off-site? I know they seem to get their burger patties pre-prepared before it comes into their franchises with their own seasonings, but do they out-source this to a food production company? And if they do what are some in NSW? I want to basically plan to streamline everything in my restaurant so it runs efficiently with very little input by myself.

Thanks for your help

Cjay
    • Total posts: 183
    Up

Urgh, that did my head in just reading it!

I personally wouldn’t go any further than minimising the number of distributers you use to what you need, and reduce their margins from there. Getting them to include the items you need in their inventories is expensive in many cases at best, impossible at worst.

I did my time in food distribution, as a night job, it’s a huge penny pinching exercise.

Focus on getting the goods you need at the cheapest price the market can delivery it at without you spending time on improving. That way you can focus on your primary business driver, the restaurant, in making the dollars.

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

Just remember dinners go to restaurants for the good food and the great experience. How are you going to micro manage the Clients experience?
    Keep Channeling your energy into the fine food and give your clients an experience they will not forget. Do this and price will not be an issue.

Chris Poulios
    http://www.satisfaction-marketing.com.au
    http://www.webthreads.com.au

unique
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Thanks for the answers so far but it’s probably not what I’m after. I certainly am focussing on customer experience, it’s the single most important aspect of my business, but it’s also important for the business to run smoothly and hence I think out-sourcing is important for consistency and long-term growth.

I guess the main question I was after was the second one whereby if anyone knew how the bigger franchise pre-prepare their foods and get it sent to each franchise already made.

trymyluck
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

Hi there, Just some suggstions that may send off on a different directon but here goes. I would be looking for someone else already in business but not a competitor who may be able to prepare the meats for you. Maybe there is someone currently in business nearby who have the time, ability and setup to prepare your foods to your criteria and supply it to you as needed. Win win for both businesses.But in answer to your question directly on how others go about outsourcing, Id be very interested to know as well.

Cjay
    • Total posts: 183
    Up
    unique , post: 127373 wrote:
    I guess the main question I was after was the second one whereby if anyone knew how the bigger franchise pre-prepare their foods and get it sent to each franchise already made.

Vacusealed meat + frozen goods. That’s pretty much it. Which standards wise doesn’t really do well on quality..

There are food prep companies, but the volume needed + the reduction in quality will mean that is expensive and not at a restaurant grade.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.