Home – New Forums Other discussions Surely this attitude is verging on illegal ?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MMiad
    • Total posts: 68
    Up
    ::

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

How awful. But sadly, unless you had solid proof of that person’s motivations, I very much doubt you would have any recourse against them.. and even if they admitted that “no person should be in the same job for too long”, they could say it was incentive to diversify their workforce and promote employees with the right skills (meanwhile, I wonder how often this person changes their own job?!!)

Sometimes events like this give us new opportunities in life, so while a vent is always healthy, so is moving onwards and upwards – and I hope your new soloist ventures are letting you do just that!

Janella
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

I hope that was only a rumour. If that manager really has attitude towards their experienced and reliable workers, people who had built relationships with their clients, contribute to the company culture and who the clients trust, imagine the outcome if they same attitude towards the loyal and reliable clientele.

Turning the tables on it (at least in your imagination) should be worth a giggle :D

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

An office full of politics is usually an office that is also full of people starting and spreading rumours.

Its entirely within the realm of possibility that one of those others who he has been ruthless with has fired off some remark. How can you know if its true or not.

harvcam
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

With redundancies you really don’t have a say. As long as the employer does not replace your position with one with the exact same duties and responsibilities, it’s pretty much legitimate.

Depending on how far up the management chain this person was, they most likely had no choice in the matter and given a directive to cut costs. How they make the decision on who stays and who goes – it’s probably best not to know. The best you can do is take the redundancy package and walk out with your head held high and think to yourself that it is their loss. What you heard from your colleague is probably office gossip.

MMiad
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

Thanks. Yes, it’s all academic. I never had any inclination to challenge the decision and I’m happy to be pursuing other ventures. It’s just galling to think such an attitude can exist.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.