Home – New Forums Get productive Swanky Friday

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    allcreative
    • Total posts: 54
    Up
    ::

So, how many soloists have let their personal appearance deteriorate over time due to the lack of exposure for most of the day?

We’ve all read the articles about dressing professionally, etc, what I’d like to know is how many of you actually do it?

I personally do most of the time, but sometimes it’s nice to just wear whatever.

Your thoughts?

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

I was in my jocks till lunchtime (jokes)

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

I’ve read a lot of posts about home-based business owners who ‘dress for success’ even at home and I always think, ‘I might as well be going out to work!’

In short, if I’m at home, I’m almost always in PJs unless I have a meeting scheduled, which is very, very rare.

Although some people may not be able to get that professional edge going if they aren’t dressed more formally, fortunately I’m not in that category.

Paul Murphy
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

When I was stuck in a cube, I spent a lot of time feeling discomfort from business attire.

I cannot fathom how people conclude that being uncomfortable leads to increased productivity :)

I think it largely depends on what motivates you, and for sales calls, getting into “the zone”, or into character even, may be helped by dressing the part.

I do think that you need to take some steps to differentiate work mode from non-work mode, particularly where there is a home office. If you can separate your work area – a dedicated office, then it is easy. If it is in space that forms your normal living area, it isn’t so easy.

So making a conscious effort to set up and tear down work mode can help focus.

bbanne
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Sadly, I don’t take particular care of myself while working at home. Even sadder – I am a trained colour and style consultant who should really know better. It is a case of do as I say, not as I do.

allcreative
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

To clarify my post title, all soloists should now subscribe to Swanky Friday, the one day per week you actually get dressed in your ‘swankiest’ office gear :D

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Ha, well I dress for whatever I’m doing – if it is a client day or a creative day (ie I’m writing) I like to dress in something that makes me feel great (no, never corporate gear… something funky…) if I am seeing clients re paradigm shifts then I dress for comfort, as that can also involve body work – in short I dress in whatever makes me feel sparkly and happy that day!! PJ’s don’t feel motivating for me… anyway, I don’t wear them to bed so why would I hang about in them ;-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.