Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Sydney based photographer looking for work to be sold on a stall

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi,

Im based in North Ryde. I have a hobby/serious photography hobby. I while ago i wanted to sell my photos of Sydney and the surrounding country area as canvas prints of various sizes. I didn’t go well and its dampened my enthusiasm a bit. I mainly went to Balmain Market, thinking that was the demographic i was looking for, and the guy that ran it did make price cut for me (not sure if that was just to fill the gaps and make the market look better). Lots of people there said “you need to be here every week to get known, which i would say i did a fair run at it, but even at the lower market charge it started to cost money, money i wasnt making at all. I had a few people take my business card, but nothing came of it.

I also tried Bondi, even though that was close to $100, but thought id take the risk as i really thought that had to be the right people for my work, but in the end still no sales.

After a long break and with better photo results im now thinking perhaps my best tack is to ask anyone here if they’ve ever sold other peoples items on their stall. If so i’d be very interested to chat with like minded stall owners that sell artwork if they’d be interested to sell on my prints, with a percentage of the sale going to you.

I have some of my artwork on my website, theres a link at the top right of the page for canvas prints.

http://www.creativeninja.com.au

regards

Tim/Creative Ninja.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Tim

My advice is to give the markets a miss, stick to your other work of events etc. Your type of photography is better suited to that rather than to having a saleable market product.

There are a lot of other things you can do to grow your business.

If however the markets are your passion then you perhaps need to think about making your art far sale to be more commercially appealing. Localised for the market you are at – perhaps.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Thanks for the reply. When I picked Balmain markets I did make sure I took photos of the area plus more universal sydney photos, but neither made an impact.

Perhaps I don’t have an eye for what will sell, although I did my research and found people selling photos on (for example), tea/table mats of things close, but not too close, to what I was doing.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Tim,

Welcome to Flying Solo!

I think you’ve taken a good approach to testing your idea. I suppose it has shown you that your assumptions about what your target customers want was a little off. I’d say it’s important to try to have conversations with these people (perhaps those who were “interested” but didn’t buy). Why didn’t they? Was it cost? Format? The photo quality?

At this stage it sounds like you can only guess. But if you can gain some insight, then alter your offering and make some initial sales, then you’ll find it a lot easier to get other stall holders to sell for you. “These are selling, would you like to sell them too?” versus “I can’t sell these, maybe you can.”

Good luck and definitely keep us posted. :)

Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.