Home – New Forums Tech talk Syndicate Blog – SEO problems?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    ::

Hello

I’ve been invited to syndicate my blog on business2community.com.

I’d like to know what the downside is?

Thought the SEO folks in the forum might be able to assist.

Thanks
    Jenny

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Jenny,
    All I know is what I take away from a quick look at this website.

It appears to be a website based on 3rd party generated content with an objective of generating advertising revenue.

I am inherently very, very cautious about publishing on sites like these. They are likely to:

• Run foul of Google.
    • Not be able to deliver any relevant clients.

IMHO, this site looks like the type of article publishing site that G has spent the last couple of years emasculating.

Google’s advice is to publish valuable content on you own website.

Caveat emptor.
    JohnW

JamesNorquay
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

Business 2 Community has been around for a while, I remember people offering guest posts on it a few years ago. It looked a bit low quality back then.

Personally I would only offer my content to be syndicated if its going to be re published in a different language or a really high authority site is going to take a few paragraphs and in all cases ensure they link back to my site as reference point.

ashram89
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

There’s nothing inherently wrong with syndication in terms of penalties, however Google will serve the site that it thinks would be of most benefit to the user, which means it’s possible that the site you syndicated your article to will show up on Google as opposed to your website being shown for a users search.

Google says: “Syndicate carefully: If you syndicate your content on other sites, Google will always show the version we think is most appropriate for users in each given search, which may or may not be the version you’d prefer. However, it is helpful to ensure that each site on which your content is syndicated includes a link back to your original article. You can also ask those who use your syndicated material to use the noindex meta tag to prevent search engines from indexing their version of the content. “

On the other hand, syndication can be a good way of gaining exposure for your brand. If you do decide to syndicate to B2C (which gets picked up by Yahoo Business Advisor) or any other blog for that manner, to get the most of it, you should make sure to follow the posts that way you can engage with those that leave comments. Additionally, create links in your content to other posts that are on your own web site so that you can try to drive some traffic to your site.

My suggestion though is if you have the time, to not syndicate and instead create unique articles for B2C as they allow for contributors and if they’re offering you a chance to syndicate, they clearly like your material.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    JohnW, post: 181859 wrote:
    Hi Jenny,
    All I know is what I take away from a quick look at this website.

It appears to be a website based on 3rd party generated content with an objective of generating advertising revenue.

I am inherently very, very cautious about publishing on sites like these. They are likely to:

• Run foul of Google.
    • Not be able to deliver any relevant clients.

IMHO, this site looks like the type of article publishing site that G has spent the last couple of years emasculating.

Google’s advice is to publish valuable content on you own website.

Caveat emptor.
    JohnW

Thanks John. You’ve voiced my concerns.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Mozbar shows PA 84 and DA at 81. PR 6

Pretty solid numbers.

Shame it looks like its slowly turning into an ad/link farm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.