Home – New Forums Wellbeing & balance Taking a holiday

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chriscollinge
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

I’m sure many soloists will have encountered this problem. As a single person operator of a service business, how can I take a holiday and how will my clients be looked after if I’m unable to work through sickness or injury?

My business provides property conveyancing services to people buying or selling their homes. Its a very reactive business that is often time sensitive. I cant choose when any particular event happens, like the sale date of a property, and I have to be around for it.

I’m sure there are others who faced the same challenges and I’d love to hear how you’ve managed it.

gingerbeardhs
    • Total posts: 90
    Up

Hi Chris,

I’ll be in the same boat at the end of November with a 3 week trip to Japan.

The way I will be managing things:

I will be changing my answering message indicating that I will not be taking bookings for this period.
    I will be suggesting alternate ways of getting in contact (namely email)
    I will be taking bookings that accommodate this “downtime” so that there are very few unfinished projects waiting for me when I get back (if any).
    I will be expecting a drop in work for a week or two after I get back.

Depending on how long a conveyancing job takes, you might be able to do the same/similar. Also, depending on competition, you might be able to refer to another conveyancer while you are away and they could do the same when they are on holidays etc

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    chriscollinge, post: 240040, member: 87225 wrote:
    I’m sure many soloists will have encountered this problem. As a single person operator of a service business, how can I take a holiday and how will my clients be looked after if I’m unable to work through sickness or injury?

My business provides property conveyancing services to people buying or selling their homes. Its a very reactive business that is often time sensitive. I cant choose when any particular event happens, like the sale date of a property, and I have to be around for it.

I’m sure there are others who faced the same challenges and I’d love to hear how you’ve managed it.
    Hi And Welcome to the Forums. It is great to have you chriscollinge!

It sure is a difficult one in your line of work – I would suggest forming an association with other solo operators in your field and as trust grows, so will the opportunities to help each other.

steve201
    Participant
    • Total posts: 280
    Up

Hi Chris ,

I’m an accountant in Melbourne.

I had a similar issue four years ago when I was using desktop software and having hassles getting time off for a rest.

The way I coped was to train up two or three replacements, fully online, to do processing work. I got very good at using receipt bank which automated bookkeeping for $20 per month.

I sacked those whom refused me a holiday as clients and got into financial planning.

As I write, I am now on the verge of being able to do business when and wherever I like.

Margins have vastly improved and I can afford to enjoy Christmas.

Steven

Melanie – MJT Law
    • Total posts: 55
    Up

Hi [USER=87225]@chriscollinge[/USER] I understand where you are coming from as well. For us legal practitioners there is always locums who will be more than happy for a fee to pick up any slack that you may have. Another option is to take your breaks pretty much when everyone else does. i.e.shut down over Christmas etc, I know loads of conveyancing practices that did this. The other option is to start a relationship with another conveyancing business that has the same problem as you and you can lean on each other when/if needed. This appears to work well too if the relationship is right.

Where are you based? perhaps I can introduce you to another sole practitioner who operates only in conveyancing that may be able to collaborate with you.

Melanie – MJT Law
    • Total posts: 55
    Up
    steve201, post: 240193, member: 13649 wrote:
    Hi Chris ,

The way I coped was to train up two or three replacements, fully online, to do processing work. I got very good at using receipt bank which automated bookkeeping for $20 per month.

Steven

I really like this solution as well, there may be a VA or someone that you can train up to pick up any slack since all the legal work is done, the rest can be completed by someone else.

Roland Farrugia
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    gingerbeardhs, post: 240058, member: 84763 wrote:
    Hi Chris,

I will be changing my answering message indicating that I will not be taking bookings for this period.
    I will be taking bookings that accommodate this “downtime” so that there are very few unfinished projects waiting for me when I get back (if any).

Depending on how long a conveyancing job takes, you might be able to do the same/similar. Also, depending on competition, you might be able to refer to another conveyancer while you are away and they could do the same when they are on holidays etc

gingerbeardhs, post: 240058, member: 84763 wrote:
    Hi Chris,

Hi Gingerbeardshs, I just picked up your message as a new recent user to flyingsolo. I noticed you are going away. Can we perhaps manage your phone while you are away? We offer a special virtual reception holiday package that I can set up easily & guarantee you all your clients be well looked after. Let me know & I would happy to discuss.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.