Home Forums Tech talk Talking Technology…Clearly Not My Thing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sansamad
    • Total posts: 122

Hi Flying Soloists,

Calling on the collective smartness of those here…and I know this is Basic Web 101.

I have my domain names for my business registered with Panthur. I want to set up email addresses but don’t know how to go about doing this? Do I do this through a hosting provider? Guidance is needed please :)

Cheers,

Sandra

James Rayers
    • Total posts: 268

HI Sandra,

There are plenty of ways to go about it but a few common options are:

• If you have web hosting set up for your website, most will allow you to add email accounts within the control panel. This would be the cheapest option, but is unlikely to be the most hassle-free.
    • I don’t personally do that because if your website host goes down, so will your email. If your website is offline at the same time as your email you could be in a bit of a pickle.
    • Thus some people will opt to go with a separate hosting account for email and their website. You can get these at most web hosts, usually marketed as business email or cloud email. I usually recommend this for my clients.
    • The best option (in my opinion) is Google Apps. It’s technically a bit more difficult to get set up but is the most stable and diverse option out there. Getting support can be challenging though so if you aren’t confident with administration you will need to find a Google Apps reseller who can offer support. I’ve found this to be the biggest barrier to general uptake of Google Apps.

Also note that you are not restricted by having your domain with Panthur. You can get any of the above services with any host.

sansamad
    James Rayers, post: 172716 wrote:
    HI Sandra,

There are plenty of ways to go about it but a few common options are:

• If you have web hosting set up for your website, most will allow you to add email accounts within the control panel. This would be the cheapest option, but is unlikely to be the most hassle-free.
    • I don’t personally do that because if your website host goes down, so will your email. If your website is offline at the same time as your email you could be in a bit of a pickle.
    • Thus some people will opt to go with a separate hosting account for email and their website. You can get these at most web hosts, usually marketed as business email or cloud email. I usually recommend this for my clients.
    • The best option (in my opinion) is Google Apps. It’s technically a bit more difficult to get set up but is the most stable and diverse option out there. Getting support can be challenging though so if you aren’t confident with administration you will need to find a Google Apps reseller who can offer support. I’ve found this to be the biggest barrier to general uptake of Google Apps.

Also note that you are not restricted by having your domain with Panthur. You can get any of the above services with any host.

Hi James,

Thanks very much for your reply :)

I don’t have a website as yet. Can email addresses be set up prior to the website? I like the idea of your suggestion to keep the website and email hosting separate for the reason you outlined. So my understanding from what you’ve said is it is probably best for me to get someone to set them up for me and if it is with Google Apps I need to find a reseller…is that correct? How do I find a reseller?? :)

Cheers,

Sandra

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691

Had a quick look at the Panthur site, appears they don’t do email, but I see they have free DNS hosting, so I assume that’s where your domain is.

Plenty of other hosting providers sell email packages, or Google Apps as suggested.

Whoever’s package suits, your domain name records (DNS records at Panthur) need to be changed or edited so they are associated with the mail server you choose. The mail records on your Domain Name Server are separate (or can be) to your web hosting records, so you can choose whatever provider you want.

Sounds like you may need some assistance to alter your DNS records when you select a package, Panthur can probably assist with this.

James Rayers
    • Total posts: 268

You certainly can set up email before you have a website. Provided you have a domain of course, which you already have covered.

The easiest way to find a Google Apps reseller is Google’s own directory: http://www.google.com/a/partnersearch/#home

The main issue I have encountered with Apps is the resellers are very much targeted at larger businesses. I’ve been searching high and low for someone to outsource Google Apps to but haven’t found anyone affordable enough for small (1 – 2 people) businesses.

sansamad, post: 172720 wrote:
    Hi James,

Thanks very much for your reply :)

I don’t have a website as yet. Can email addresses be set up prior to the website? I like the idea of your suggestion to keep the website and email hosting separate for the reason you outlined. So my understanding from what you’ve said is it is probably best for me to get someone to set them up for me and if it is with Google Apps I need to find a reseller…is that correct? How do I find a reseller?? :)

Cheers,

Sandra

sansamad
    estim8, post: 172721 wrote:
    Had a quick look at the Panthur site, appears they don’t do email, but I see they have free DNS hosting, so I assume that’s where your domain is.

Plenty of other hosting providers sell email packages, or Google Apps as suggested.

Whoever’s package suits, your domain name records (DNS records at Panthur) need to be changed or edited so they are associated with the mail server you choose. The mail records on your Domain Name Server are separate (or can be) to your web hosting records, so you can choose whatever provider you want.

Sounds like you may need some assistance to alter your DNS records when you select a package, Panthur can probably assist with this.

Hi estim8,

Thank you for your reply :)

I can use Panthur as my web hosting provider from which I then set up email addresses….is that correct? From what I have read elsewhere on this forum it seems that having a separate hosting provider is beneficial.

If I am thinking along the lines of Shopify for my website then does this have any bearing on choosing my web hosting provider (please refer to my thread title)?

Cheers,

Sandra

sansamad
    James Rayers, post: 172741 wrote:
    You certainly can set up email before you have a website. Provided you have a domain of course, which you already have covered.

The easiest way to find a Google Apps reseller is Google’s own directory: http://www.google.com/a/partnersearch/#home

The main issue I have encountered with Apps is the resellers are very much targeted at larger businesses. I’ve been searching high and low for someone to outsource Google Apps to but haven’t found anyone affordable enough for small (1 – 2 people) businesses.

Hi James,

I appreciate your reply :)

I had a look at the link you provided and the resellers suggested are definitely aimed at the big players.

It feels like the twilight zone to me in all honesty :confused: Is this where the web designer you bring on board for your website is likely to be the go-to person for setting up email addresses and the like??

Cheers,

Sandra

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691

Email and web site hosting are completely separate, and can be done in any order with any provider.

The only common denominator is your domain name, which is actually a unique address on the internet. You need a Domain Name Server (DNS) to dish up that address (you have that currently with Panthur, I’d assume from their site info).

Once you’ve decided what you want for email and for hosting, your DNS records are adjusted to associate your domain (address) with that package or packages if you break them up.

Shopify has the hosting included if you select them, some of the other ecommerce options are similar.

If you go with Shopify or similar, they’ll have support options most likely to coach you how to link your domain via your DNS records.

This is where you may need support from Panthur … or some one familiar with their process. I know that forum member @MartinFirth uses them but there may be others can assist if you’re stuck.

DNS records are a pain if you haven’t done it before, but a very quick exercise for someone familiar with how to.

Keep posting or PM if stuck. Cheers

beverlyjbasquez
    • Total posts: 4

Hi! If you are new to stuff like this, it would be best to seek the help of a hosting provider to make sure that everything is setup according to your desired structure.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.