Home – New Forums Selling online Targets for an SEO expert

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Tagntrade
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Hello,
    We recently employed some SEO experts and I have to say that the results, well… are practically non-existent. They have told us that it would take 2 months before seeing results. Is that true? We want to set them some targets they have to achieve. We are currently at 30 unique visits a day. What would be a reasonable target to achieve?

Thank you in advance

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    Tagntrade, post: 160449 wrote:
    Hello,
    We recently employed some SEO experts and I have to say that the results, well… are practically non-existent. They have told us that it would take 2 months before seeing results. Is that true? We want to set them some targets they have to achieve. We are currently at 30 unique visits a day. What would be a reasonable target to achieve?

Thank you in advance

It depends on the targets but SEO results don’t happen immediately because of the nature of Google and the internet so without knowing more I don’t see an immediate problem with 2 months. Certain keywords could see results immediately while others could take a year.

The results you get really depend on the services they’re providing you. If it’s just checking the code on your website and optimising it then you’re at the mercy of Google and targets are effecively going to be pointless because only Google decides where to rank your website. If they’re also working on content marketing, social media and others then you’re going to see traffic from other places so your numbers would increase. Of course, it’s impossible to give you any real answers without knowing a lot more information.

Without knowing the company you’ve employed, I will say that I never offer guarantees or targets because it’s impossible without massive caveats so it feels scammy to me. It could be that they’re the same.

Funnily enough, I wrote a blog post last night that should explain the basics: http://blog.aggregetic.com.au/2013/05/08/is-seo-worth-it/

Tagntrade
    Up

Thanks for the reply and the information you provided helps. But what are some of the key features SEO people implement?
    Is there a way I can check if they have done a good job without waiting 2 months to see results?

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    Tagntrade, post: 160570 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply and the information you provided helps. But what are some of the key features SEO people implement?
    Is there a way I can check if they have done a good job without waiting 2 months to see results?

It usually differs by company but you should find some basic things like “meta description” tags added to the page, certain keywords added to the page (without making it hard or strange to read) and a number of “back end” things. If you’re up for some reading, I refer clients looking for an understanding to http://www.seomoz.org/beginners-guide-to-seo

A good SEO company should be giving you a list of the things they’re doing and why. If you don’t have that list I’d ask for one.

If we’re looking at tagntrade.com, there are a few issues with it like an empty description tag. Google “tagntrade” and the first listing should be yours, and you can see that instead of “Tagntrade allows you to…”, it says “Quick contact email …”. That’s a pretty big thing that should be rectified quickly.

You should also have a text description of what your site does with relevant keywords embedded (nicely).

I can’t see any ALT tags on your images which is a missed opportunity.

To be honest, I’d suggest a good conversation with the people doing the work for you because it seems they’re missing some basics but it’s difficult to tell without knowing where your traffic is coming from, which keywords you’re targeting, what they include in their service, etc.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I can’t help with how to manage your SEO company, not my field, but I do enough of my own to agree with @JoshG that there’s some basics missing.

I’ll stand corrected if I’m wrong, but the main thing that hit me, looking at your source code, apart from the meta-tag and title stuff, was the almost complete lack of indexable content.

You have about 6000 thousand lines of code on your homepage, and about the only content I could find when scanning it, was the instruction to watch the video.

Pretty much everything else was abstracted away in Javascript, or hidden within “tables”.

Google is pretty much a “text”crawler, it needs something to read.

CarlieHamilton
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

One way you could perhaps see the results of your SEO somewhat is to get to know Google Webmaster Tools. Here you can monitor your website in google search. You can see how people are finding you in google (and if they are then clicking on you).

A good tool is under Optimization – Content Keywords. These are the top keywords that google associates with your website.

It is also a good tool to see if there are any errors in your website SEO.
    I have a write up here about all the things you can do with Google Webmaster Tools – http://www.sproutspire.com/guide-to-google-webmaster-tools/

I hope that helps somewhat, or gives you ideas.

Tagntrade
    Up

Thanks for the help people. I am tracking the keywords using google analytics and such and I can’t say we’ve had many results. I’m slowly going through the SEO document you posted, very useful. At the very least I have made the SEO company aware that I am checking up and asking questions.

So, again thank you

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Tristan,

Even though search engines rank through a mathematical formula, that formula is very secret. Search engines cant possibly recheck every site on the internet daily to recalculate rank so there is some delay so that is normal. (imagine the internet noise).

Anyway to manage the seo company, they are providing seo services to you at a cost. Cant you ask them for a report on what has been done and the results of their efforts. Ask them to show the effectiveness of their work?

Steve

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up

I think you better hit up your experts for a detailed account of what they’ve been doing. I’ve had a quick look at your website and here’s my observations about it from two perspectives:

Useability

I really have no idea what it is that you do. I have no idea what your USP is. You failed the 30 second test and I went looking for another website.

SEO

A quick (5 minute) look at your on-page SEO and I’ve got the following observations

1. Your title tag is meaningless and unlikely to tell anyone what your page is about other than your business name.
    2. Even though meta tags do not impact SEO much the meta description tag *can* be the text shown in SE results. Yours is set to the default (and useless) value of “Home page content”.
    3. Your H1 tag is set to “SIGNUP”. Again useless. Ideally this should be used to highlight some keyword your page is striving to rank for.
    4. There’s almost no text on your front page. What is there for SE’s to index?
    5. The code is full of javascript. Minify it and put it all in an external .js file.
    6. Keyword research. Have you done any? Has your SEO company spoken to you about it? I see absolutely no evidence of it on your home page.

Tagntrade
    Up
    markn, post: 160819 wrote:
    Useability

I really have no idea what it is that you do. I have no idea what your USP is. You failed the 30 second test and I went looking for another website.

Thanks again for all the help. I raised these issues with the team and they assured me that they are already working on these changes. I totally agree with your analysis of our SEO optimaization and I thank you for pointing those out. But I just wanted to know about your useability explanation. Did the video not explain us or the text to the side of the video not explain our site? We want to make it plainly obvious what we do so if you could; could you go into further detail about it?

Again, many thanks

Tristan

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up

Hi Tristan,

Your copy didn’t make me want to watch the video. IMHO I should want to watch a video because I am interested in what it is you are doing not because I can’t figure out what the heck it is you’re doing. Your copy gave me no real idea of what your product / USP is.

Mark

Tagntrade
    Up
    markn, post: 160841 wrote:
    Hi Tristan,

Your copy didn’t make me want to watch the video. IMHO I should want to watch a video because I am interested in what it is you are doing not because I can’t figure out what the heck it is you’re doing. Your copy gave me no real idea of what your product / USP is.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I will take that on-board. I appreciate your help.

Tristan

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

It’s always difficult to comment on what a reasonable level of service might be without knowing what agreement you have and at what price.

We sometimes see small businesses sign up to some SEO plan for a couple of hundred bucks a month and then expect thousand dollar service. If you’re only paying for a couple of hours a month and you are only a couple of months into your contract then there might not be much visible result yet legitimately.

If on the other hand lots of hours work were due by now then I’d certainly be expecting to see some on-page work done and some good discussion and agreement already in place on the plan for the coming months.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Tristan,
    IMHO, you need some serious and competent support ASAP. It looks like you have major problems with your site.

SEO starts with the questions:

1. Does your site work in the SEs?
    2. Who are your target audiences?
    3. Where are they located?
    4. How do they view your website?
    5. What are your website objectives?
    6. What do you want them to do?

If you are talking to SEO services that don’t start here, run away!

The quickest of looks I had of your website suggests to me that it does not clear the very first hurdle. In which case, NO SEO is POSSIBLE until you fix this!

In this situation, anyone who offers you a bunch of SEO services without telling you what needs fixing on your site to enable the SEs to view it completely and properly is either a sham, a fraud or incompetent!
    Regs,
    JohnW

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

Any so-called SEO professionals, who have no idea about proper website structure, is a sure way to weed-out the amateurs and scammers. Having no knowledge how to layout your website pages with proper titles, keywords and content structure, is a sure way for “alarm bells to ring” that they have absolutely no idea about the profession of Internet Marketing.

By the way, this applies to the Web Design industry as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.