Home – New Forums Money matters Tax help – GST turnover and international sales

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    millykitty
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

If I were to have a turnover of over $75000, but a large amount of sales were from overseas buyers (over half), would I still need to register for the GST? thanks

StellarScott
    • Total posts: 239
    Up

Hi Milly

This link shows the definition of GST turnover http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/00221985.htm&page=4#P133_6961

My view is that as your sales are from Australia ..they are connected with Australia…and therefore you would need to register. Actually would be big advantage to register as all you would be able to claim GST credits for your inputs and not have to charge GST on your exports.

millykitty
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Thanks for your reply. Would they still be connected with Australia if I bought them from overseas, imported them here, then sold them overseas? It is not something I bought in Australia…

taxpert
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

Hi Milky,

I believe Scott is right about needing to register. Also, there would still be a sufficient conection with Australia (and therefore a requirement to register) even if you both imported and exported the goods. Sorry that probably wasn’t the answer you were hoping for.

Cheers,
    Simon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.