Home – New Forums Money matters Tax office advice – what would you do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I was recently fined $220 for not submitting my BAS on time – 2 x $110 per month. I was something like 1 month and four days late so it ticked over into the $220 zone. How annoying!

It’s v. unlike me to do my BAS late, normally I’m super prompt but moving house meant I got behind.

So at the start of the year, I got in touch with the tax office via my business portal, with a fairly detailed explanation… ok, grovel… to see if I could get let off the fine, or have it reduced at least. Here’s an extract:

I understand the ATO need to keep on top of those who habitually submit their returns late but if you review my account you will see I have an impeccable record of submitting both my BAS and annual returns precisely on time, since 2001. This is an anomally, and in light of that I seriously hope you’ll reconsider whether the fine is necessary.

To date, I have yet to receive an acknowledgement or a response to this message.

The problem is, the fine’s due date is approaching, and I’m concerned that the fine will start accruing interest if it remains unpaid.

Should I suck it up and pay the fine? Or should I hang in there in case I’m let off? Should I chase them by phone?

What would you do?

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Hi Sam,
    From my bitter sweet relationship with the taxation office spanning some 50 years. You have given them an explanation and if you havent heard from them before the due date pay the fine. Their systems are extremely slow and very frustrating to the customer, however I have found them to be fair and usually sympathetic in such cases as yours.

Others may dissagree, but as with all governmint departments you play fair with them and they will do likewise, try to bluff them and they will turn nasty.

Wouldnt hurt to give them a call, but allow an hour or two and you will eventually get it sorted.

The alternative is to talk to your accountant and see what influence he can bring to bear

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I would pay the fine and then hopefully it will be returned to you. (You could always check later and probably send an email enquiry through the email section in the online BAS Business Portal lodging. I seem to get enquiry responses back pretty quickly that way.)

Their (computer) systems are so large it’s easier to refund than to cancel.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

I have not seen any consistency with the issue of these BAS fines… based on what your time is worth I suggest you just grin and bear it… sorry

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

I’d suggest picking up the phone – and if no luck there, then pay the fine.

Melissa

BruceR
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Definitely pay the fine – it will have no bearing on the decision to refund it (they won’t cancel it) and if they do refund, it will just be a credit against your next BAS payment. If it’s not paid things could get worse……

Bruce

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Update: I paid the fine as you suggested and the very next day got a message to say they’ve considered the circumstances and .. it’s been recredited.

Hooray for the ATO! Now there’s something you don’t say every day.

Thanks so much for your advice, everyone.

Sam

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

So glad you paid the fine and got refunded Sam! I find it’s the best thing to do and you invariably will get recredited if you have a good reason.
    Best wishes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.